Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, August 26, 2017

LEGENDARY COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 8-26-17

LUNCH TREAT

Back in the mid-1950’s, “fast food” was nowhere to be found in Salisbury. Ifsomeone went out to eat, it was always a special occasion. And you dressed accordingly. There were an assortment of luncheonettes and diners for the working trade to patronize at lunchtime if they didn’t go home for lunch or pack it to take to work. At the diners and luncheonettes, the lunch-time fare was usually a hot roast beef or turkey sandwich or the ever popular grilled cheese sandwich.

In 1956, when I was attending St. Francis de Sales School, I made the discovery of a lifetime – the submarine sandwich. I had attained a level of trust with my parents to the point where I could ride my bicycle to school one day a week. Traffic was not as horrific as it is now and the idea of anyone taking your bicycle was unheard of. Of course, it had a City of Salisbury license plate, which was a 2” x 3” piece of metal embossed with a number which was registered by the City and issued only to you. It was attached to the rear of the seat with a metal band and you just knew that it provided all the security you would need. This was before the bad guys discovered bolt cutters.

So, every Thursday at lunch time, I rode my bicycle to that magical place, Sid’s Subs. It was located on S. Division St. near the hospital, not far from St. Francis. And, so, for 30 minutes and less than a dollar, I savored that marvel of culinary art, the cold cut sub. It was washed down with a cold orange drink. I don’t remember having to make many decisions about what kind I wanted or how I wanted it fixed. Sid Niblett made one kind and it was fairly scrumptious to me. The whole jumble of cold cuts, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions and oil was a far cry from the usual orderly sandwiches my Mother used to make. The whole experience was a transition in my life and I have never forsaken my love of a good cold cut sub.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks ... brought back great memories. I lived in Hagerstown growing up and the Go-To spot for the best sub was Hartles Sub Shop.

Anonymous said...

I remember The Hut. They had great subs and crinkle cut french fries. I think they were at a couple of different locations along Rt. 13 near Oliphant Chevrolet (now the University Car Wash).

Jack K Richards said...

Damn, George that sub is loaded Looks like the ones I get here @ Publix super market I seem to remember Sid's subs. My good friend Jack Stanley always had good subs @ the Red Door.

David Snyder said...

L&F where the Hospital Sit's was another good sub maker.

Anonymous said...

Sid's was wonderful. thanks for more great memories...

Jonathan Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

And next door was Brittingham's Confectionery. They had good shakes and fries.

Mark and Cicilia Church said...

Thank you for removing JT's comment. You are a good man, Joe. We voted for you in the election and are sorry those democrat people rigged the election on you.

Sheamus said...

When I moved to Delmar in 91 there was an IGA store. They sure made some good cold cuts. Very few places make a good one today. Thanks for the story. Sheamus

Anonymous said...

If it's not cold cuts...it's NOT a sub! It's a sandwich!

Anonymous said...

Back in the early 60's, before Worcester County schools had a central kitchen, the lunch ladies at Pocomoke High served subs every Tuesday. The rolls and all ingredients were super fresh and the subs were piled so high with meat, cheese and veggies that they were very hard to close or stuff in your mouth!. You got the sub, a pickle, chips and milk for 30 cents! Those were the days!

Anonymous said...

I always went into Sid's with shorts,a tee shirt and flip flops.Great subs.

Anonymous said...

As a kid in the 70's, I remember Red Door, The Hut and L&F Sub Shop. I also remember my father picking up a carryout pizza from Ponzetti's on Friday nights. Back then there were no delivery places yet (Domino's or Pizza Hut). So Ponzetti's was my first pizza memory and it was pretty good.