Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Silicon Valley is right—our jobs are already disappearing

Stephen Hawking says that “we are at the most dangerous moment in the development of humanity” and that the “rise of artificial intelligence is likely to extend job destruction deep into the middle classes, with only the most caring, creative or supervisory roles remaining.”

Sam Hinkie, the smartest man in sports and a Stanford grad, asks, “How are you preparing your kids for a life with 60% unemployment?”

Sam Altman, the head of YCombinator, is so convinced that we’re going to need to figure out new ways of providing people with a means to live that he’s giving ~$20k each to 1,000 people in Oakland for a year just to see what they do with their new jobless income.

Literally the smartest people in the world think an unprecedented wave of job destruction is coming with the development of artificial intelligence, robotics, software and automation. My friends in Silicon Valley have read the Second Machine Age and Rise of the Robots and they see a wave coming.

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to learn a trade or do something that makes you invaluable. Survival of the fittest.

Anonymous said...

Skynet = BAD

Come on, didn't anyone watch the movie????
(snicker snicker)

Anonymous said...

Farmers will still have a trade and will finally be appreciated and very much wanted.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above comments about learning a trade. I'm not a young man anymore but if I was I wouldn't saddle myself with college debt, I would learn a trade that pays well and I would learn on my own all I could about investing and plan for a secure future. Also let me make a note for any young guys reading this if you decide to go into the working world look around and if you don't see any old men in that line of work stay away from it at 60 years old you don't up fixing a roof or crawling under a house fixing plumbing and remember invest every penny you can in long term secure investments.