Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 23, 2016

Red Meat May Be Heart OK After All

Before you wave away that steak consider this latest study which finds that red meat may not contribute to heart disease.

Conventional beliefs hold that red meat is harmful to the heart, but this new review from Purdue University finds that consuming it in amounts above what is typically recommended does not affect short-term cardiovascular disease risk factors, such as blood pressure and blood cholesterol.

"During the last 20 years, there have been recommendations to eat less red meat as part of a healthier diet, but our research supports that red meat can be incorporated into a healthier diet," said Wayne Campbell, professor of nutrition science at the school, which is located in West Lafayette, Ind.

"Red meat is a nutrient-rich food, not only as a source for protein but also bioavailable iron,” he adds.

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They always do this type of crap. They come out and say something is bad for us. Two or three years later they come out and say it's fine for us after all.

They have done this with eggs, coffee, salt, red meat, milk, etc., you get the idea.

I have more or less stopped listening to anything they have to say. If I like whatever it is that I am eating, I will continue to eat it. Some might say that's not healthy, it's bad for me, etc., blah blah blah.

Whatever.

I have come to realize that no matter what I eat or don't eat, I will still die when the time comes.

Anonymous said...

No one - and I mean no one - makes it out of this life alive. Eat what you want. This is just proof positive the "experts" know not what they talk about!

Anonymous said...

Take everything in moderation.

Anonymous said...

There's a book called The Omnivore's Dilemma which explains why the prevailing school of thought keeps changing. One reason is that it's really difficult to measure the effects of a single food or type of food in a complex system such as the human body. The food companies just roll with the changes (and sponsor research).

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Take everything in moderation.

December 24, 2016 at 6:56 AM

I have heard that before and I agree. Moderation is key. That's the phrase I have heard over the years. ( I wish I had listened, especially when it came to alcohol. lol)