Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

My 8-year-old son asked me if Santa Claus is real. Here’s what I told him

In December last year I caught a nasty virus that rendered me completely mute for weeks, unable to squeak out a sound.

I carried a pad of paper with me everywhere, scrawling out requests and answers and the occasional wry comment until one day a week before Christmas my almost 8-year-old son came home with the worst playground news ever and the innocence-busting moment parents dread: Is there a Santa?

Not since the flu vaccine have I been so grateful for a virus, pointing to my throat, the universal sign for “I can’t talk.” I wrote something on my pad about “Santa spirit=Love=We give gifts,” which is exactly as inadequate as it sounds.

After I got over the impulse to be That Parent who goes crazy on the playground truth-teller, I sat down at my computer to write my answer. The time allowed provided thinking space that an immediate answer wouldn’t have, and here is what I wrote for him:

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bah humbug.....another story where everyone gets a trophy. Create more snowflakes....all pagan backing, tell kids the truth, give gifts all along life's journey why do you need one commercialized day for acts of generosity toward other humans???? HOW DO KIDS WHO ARE POOR FEEL WHEN THEIR PARENTS DON'T HAVE MONEY TO BUY GIFTS FOR DECEMBER 25TH.????

Anonymous said...

In our house Christmas is a "birthday party" celebration for Jesus. We open presents for our party and have a dinner.

Anonymous said...

If you don't beleive, you don't receive!!