Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 25, 2016

Going to the boat......first time

Here is a good birds eye view of what pilots see when they are landing on the deck of a carrier. Most Marine pilots are required to do carrier quals, as all Navy pilots are required to do. They begin with a touch and go then proceed to catch an arresting gear wire on the ship’s deck. Take note of the pilot’s description of the moving angle deck they have to land on....

GOING TO THE BOAT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was pretty awesome. I have always wanted to be a pilot and if I could just turn back time. I really did miss out on the military experience. My father retired from the Navy and he would have been so proud of me. God bless those guys, they have a tough job.

Anonymous said...

This is really awesome to see in person. I have been on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and watched the aircraft take off and land, the SEALS demonstration, etc. When the aircraft catches the cable it is at full throttle so if the cable breaks they can take back off and not go over the end of the ship. After 911 there were no longer family days to do this :(

Anonymous said...

I spent 3 years on the aircraft carrier, USS AMERICA (CVA-66) I reported to the ship 22 days before my 18th birthday. During flight operations, we would go up the superstructure to the observation deck and watch takeoffs and landings. It was the awesome to watch, the pilots and all the people on the flight deck earned every penny they were paid.