Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, March 09, 2015

Laura Bush says Jeb not seeking advice from George about 2016

Jeb Bush isn’t seeking advice from his older brother, former President George W. Bush, about his likely run for the White House in 2016, former first lady Laura Bush said Friday.

“Not really ... Jeb hasn’t come to him and asked him for it,” the wife of the former president said in an interview on CNN’s "New Day." “Believe me, when both your father and your brother have been president, you’ve watched from the sidelines, for sure, and so he knows a lot. He’s been a great governor of Florida so it will be interesting to see.”

Laura Bush indicated that the former president isn’t actively involved in helping Jeb Bush as the former Florida governor ramps up campaign operations ahead of a potential run for the Republican presidential nomination.

“I mean, obviously, we’re huge Jeb supporters,” she said. “He’s our brother and we love him and I think he would be terrific. It’s interesting to watch, we’re watching only from the sidelines, but it's fun and interesting to see.”

Jeb Bush has sought to distinguish his legacy from those of his father, former President George H.W. Bush, and his brother, as he moves toward a presidential run.

“My views will often be held up in comparison to theirs, sometimes in contrast to theirs," Jeb Bush said last month at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs. "I love my father and my brother. I admire their service to the nation and the difficult decisions they had to make. But I am my own man and my views are shaped by my own thinking and own experiences.”

More

No comments: