Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 05, 2015

D.C., Md. lawmakers advancing ‘Death with Dignity’ measures

WASHINGTON (WJLA) – The high-profile decision by Brittany Maynard to end her life last year due to a terminal illness generated national headlines. Now, it appears the so-called Death with Dignity laws she promoted are gaining momentum. New legislation is being considered in several states, including Maryland and the District of Columbia.

Oregon and four other states have enacted such laws. Meanwhile, campaigns promoting them are underway in California, Colorado and several East Coast states.

In Maryland, Sen. Ronald Young (R-Frederick Co.) plans to file such legislation in the next few days.

In D.C., a similar bill is already pending. Council member Mary Cheh said the Death with Dignity Act she introduced last month would not allow euthanasia or even doctor assisted suicide.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

About time ,
Stay OUT of people's life/death.

Anonymous said...

I am all for it. I think we treat our pets better than we treat ourselves. If I knew I would be facing a terminal illness that has no cure and I would be facing a horrible end, I would take the option of death with dignity. I would choose life for as long as possible, but I would like the choice of how I would want to leave this world. No one should be forced to suffer or cause undue financial and emotional hardship on a family.

Anonymous said...

I support Frank Zappa's position - don't try suicide, you're not going to like it...

Anonymous said...

I have believed in it since the days of Jack Kavorkian, spelling not sure. Everyone should have the right to die with dignity, and be involved in their decision.

Anonymous said...

I hope & pray it goes through. I've seen such suffering with
my own loved ones. No one should
have to endure the pain when
leaving here!

Anonymous said...

The gov't wants to control every aspect of our lives and death. How did we get to this point? Never mind, liberals.

Anonymous said...

Sorry 10:40 you need to pin most of these "I will tell you how to live" laws on the bible thumpers.

Anonymous said...

How is it that we can not come up with a fast, humane death serum for lethal injection but there exists a drug that will do just that for the terminally ill?