Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Act of Kindness: Teen stops car to shovel snow for man with walker

NOTTOWAY COUNTY, Va. — A Nottoway High School senior who spends snow days clearing snow and ice from neighborhood driveways and sidewalks saw something out of his mother’s car window that compelled him to tell her to stop the car. Teresa Adams and her son Tommy were driving home from the DMV when they drove past an older man who was trying to shovel snow from his driveway. The man was using a walker to get around.

“Tommy said ‘Mamma stop the car,'” Teresa Adams recalled. “I got scared and asked ‘what’s wrong?'”

He said, “there’s an older man with a walker shoveling snow — I’ll help him out,” she added.

Tommy approached the man and asked him for the snow shovel.

More

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God and his mother for setting an example to a fine young man.

Anonymous said...

Good 4 him! We need to see more of this kind of news more often. There has to be more thoughtful young folks out there doing good deeds.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many people had already gone past him and not stopped.

JoeAlbero said...

10:48, The BIG question is, how many of YOU would have stopped. I would.

A non said...

Every snow storm My 11 year old son shovels the homes of our senior neighbor. He is always offered money but never takes it. As he said to me one day " isn't this what we are suppose to do to be nice people?" EXACTLY!

Anonymous said...

I thought all cars left on snow routes (like North Blvd) are suppose to be moved or towed. Didn't happen. That is why that street is hit and miss driving.

Anonymous said...

The teen age boys all disappear in our neighborhood when the snow flies. I'm not so old I can't shovel snow, but I'm old enough that I probably shouldn't. Good on this young man for helping out.

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid we went around shoveling the elderly driveways for free and trying to make money by doing other peoples driveways. I held out till 3pm the other day waiting to pay a kid $20 or $30 to shovel mine. No kids came to the door so I had to do it myself. I probably needed the exercise but what happened to the little entrapenuers?

LadyLiddy said...

Breath of fresh air