Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Wicomico County: Where Are Total Property Taxes Highest?

If you said "Salisbury" you get no cigar. To be sure, after 15 or so years of Barrie Tilghman and Jim Ireton as mayor and the Day duo (Michael and Jake), Gary Comegys, Mikey Dunn, Louise Smith, Shanie Shields and Laura Mitchell on the city Council, plus 8 years of Rick Pollitt as County Executive and his allies on the Council (Stevie Prettyman, Matt Holloway, John Hall and Sheree Sample-Hughes), the total tax rate has soared in Salisbury, which now ranks fifth highest among the largest towns in Maryland – see the table for details.

But, Fruitland, which has had a double whammy of Rick Pollitt as its town manager before he became County Executive, now has an even higher total tax rate. Only Baltimore City and three towns in Prince George's County have a higher property tax burden than that in Fruitland, which is $1.8686 per $100 of assessed value. That's nearly 2% and beats the total tax rate in Salisbury, $1.7926 in 2014, but not by very much.

These data demonstrate the devastation that's been done by the local Democrat "leadership" in Wicomico County together with the RINO’s named above. And now, Ireton wants a new countywide tax for fire and EMS services in addition to the rain tax he and Jake Day have just inflicted on Salisbury property owners that is not reflected in the above data.


Once again it is ONLY Salisbury News who delivers this kind of information. Factual and Documented. Now, if you want to know more about Dover and Wilmington then I strongly suggest and recommend you go to the Daily Times, WMDT or WBOC.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, you need to have someone compare the benefits Wicomico County gives to employees and retirees versus other counties. That will help explain why our taxes are so high. It is unbelievable. We cannot continue to support all the benefits - comp time for department heads, paying for dependents insurance, vesting in 5 years - the list goes on. Please research this.

Anonymous said...

Wish I had seen this before moving to Fruitland seven years ago. In this nation we are over-taxed, over-regulated, and over-legislated.

Anonymous said...

I had a rental property in Fruitland - (Cedar Lane) that I purchased at a foreclosure sale. When I got my first tax bill I couldn't believe it. After holding onto it for about (2) years I decided to unload it because of the real estate taxes. It was the best move I ever made to dump the 'ball and chain' tax anchor.

Anonymous said...

To be fair, and I am by no means defending Pollitt, Ireton or the cronies of the past, these numbers do not work for me. You cannot compare the tax RATE of Salisbury to that of Rockville, Gaithersburg and Annapolis. The assessment values and populations of those places are nothing like that of Salisbury. My $200,000 home here would cost over $400,000 in a similar neighborhood in those places thus not requiring as high of a rate to create the appropriate revenue. I'm more comfortable with comparing Salisbury to places like Easton, Hagerstown and Frederick.

Personally, I live in Salisbury and I have not felt that my tax bill was high per say, but I'm slightly ignorant to the situation since I have never paid taxes anywhere else. I do find it to be quite ridiculous that I pay both county and city taxes, but I don't get full county services like those who live in the unincorporated county. For example, and I have no grudge against them, if I call the Sheriff's department for help I would be and have been told to call the City police. That, technically, is a service I do not get so why am I paying for it?

The best part about the whole fire service issue is that Ireton's past shenanigans aren't going to work with Culver - he'll just laugh has his hissy fits. What I would like to see is more of a joint effort between Salisbury and the County - Merge the police forces, streamline fire service, make cooperative efforts in public works for road repairs (the City cause most of the segmented roads with it's ridiculous annexations anyway), etc. Unfortunately, that would never happen because it wasn't the mayor's idea...

JoeAlbero said...

10:58, Thank you for your comment. I think you should look into Worcester County, (like West Ocean City) and see the difference.

I own property there and when I compare your comment to that property your statement, (to me) doesn't hold water. If I were to place my OC property on the South River it would be worth millions, yet my taxes are easily $15,000.00 less per year in Worcester County. You can't say the same in Wicomico County or Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

This will never end until we get rid of Jake day and Ireton. Its time for some new blood. I am a life long democrat and I am now voting republican. I am liking what I see with the governor already.

Anonymous said...

Approximately 20 years ago, my Fruitland taxes were 1/2 of what my Wicomico County taxes were. Now the two are almost exactly the same amounts. There is no reason for the Fruitland taxes to rise that quickly and catch up to the Wicomico ones.

Anonymous said...

10:58 --

Your analysis overlooks the fact that wages and many costs are much higher across the bay, which offsets the tax base boost from the higher real estate values there.

Anonymous said...

12:27 A great example of why chasing lower taxes is a fools game. It can change in a minute.

Anonymous said...

Loads of people in Wicomico don't pay taxes. The problem is not so bad in other counties.

Anonymous said...

Fruitland hired way more cops than it needs and spent a bunch of other money. When the housin market crashed and home values went down they had to find a way to keep the same amount of money coming in. My house went from being tax assessed at 240k to 180k. My tax bill went down only $73. Wonder if they will lower it if the values go back up

Anonymous said...

Fruitland residents can thank Rick Pollitt for that. And he has the nerve to think Fruitland wants him back. No thanks Rick. Stay in the unemployment line!

Anonymous said...

11:46 --

Day is much more dangerous than that buffoon named Ireton.

Anonymous said...

COMP TIME!!!!!!! SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Bobby be listening.

Anonymous said...

Fruitland should use all their incoming tax money for paving the roads!

Anonymous said...

Get rid of half the fruitland police its OVERKILL.

Anonymous said...

Taxes would have been a hell of a lot worse in Salisbury if it hadn't been for Debbie Campbell and Terry Cohen. Thank goodness they showed the line could be held during the worst of times.