Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 10, 2014

Father’s Rescue Attempt For Son Saved By Beach Patrol

A father ambles down the sandy shore while his son splashes and plays in the surf on a clear cloudless Ocean City weekend. Dad may not be paying complete attention until he hears the scream: “Help!”

The father knows that voice. Looking up from the sand mound he’d been kicking, he sees the raised arms of his boy flailing in the water.

Maybe his first reaction is to look around to see if there are any lifeguards on duty. This time of year, the Ocean City Beach Patrol has limited staff making the rounds. More often than not, the father will do what the OCBP reported he did last Saturday: Jump in the water to save his son.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My worst fear.. the main reason why we go to other local beaches in the bay area with no waves and shallow water.

Btw, Coastal Aquatics has a great swim class for kids!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Being a father of two boys I honestly couldn't see myself just standing on the beach dialing 911 while one of my sons was drowning before my eyes. I just couldn't live with myself knowing I can swim and did nothing but make a phone call. It might not have been the right thing to do for this father to jump in to save his son in some peoples eyes . As a father I can understand . I would have done the same .

The article itself seemed kind of chastising toward the father. Maybe its just me.

Anonymous said...

No word about the son? I can only assume dad did save him.