Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Longing For The Carefree Parenting Style Of Yesterday?

When Betty Draper of "Mad Men" lit a cigarette on her son's school bus during a class trip in a recent episode, I cracked up. After all, the prospect of a 2014 mom smoking around her child's classmates is about as likely as teens giving up their smartphones.

Motherhood has changed a lot since I grew up in the 1960s.

Back then, women smoke and drank during pregnancy. (My mom says she even smoked in the hospital after delivering my sisters and me.) Today, expecting women add sushi and lunch meat to their alcohol and smoking bans.

Back then, Dr. Spock was the only guide for child-rearing. Today, there are too many manuals to count and Google is just a click away from parental questions answered.
More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we lived through it just fine... or better!

-4/16/1954

Anonymous said...

I'm 29 years old, and pregnant with my first child. I've read the overload of information online and in the newest mommy blogs and books. Instead of buying into every little thing that the "modern" moms are saying, I've been taking a lot of advice from my mother, who was born in '65, and especially my grandmother, who was born in '41. I find what they have to say makes a lot more sense.