Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Police Chief: Not Wanting To Talk To Police Officers Is ‘Odd’

This insight into how police think the public should interact with them is certainly enlightening. (viathis tweet and Amy Alkon’s Advice Goddess blog)

The backstory is this: a woman was walking down the street when a motorcycle cop approached her, asked her if she lived in the area and if she would talk to him. She says his approach made her feel uncomfortable, so she refused and continued on her way.

“I thought that maybe he was flirting,” she said. “I just thought it was odd, I thought it was odd. I wasn’t really sure but I felt uncomfortable because there wasn’t anyone around.”

She says she was worried he might not even a real cop, so she refused to stop and began jogging away from him.

“He just crept along beside me on his motorcycle and he started saying, ‘Hey ma’am! I want to talk to you. Hey stop, ma’am! I want to talk to you.’ Then my anxiety rose even higher,” she said.

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a friend of mine a few years ago that was at the green turtle in Salisbury, and a guy bumped into him and then wanted to start a fight it was very obvious the guy was wasted,so my friend kept trying to walk away but this guy was persistent, so after about 20mins of it my friend just finally punched him in the face, turned out the guy was a cop and he arrested him, it went to court and now my friend has a record. I wouldn't talk to a cop neither, I don't trust them.

Anonymous said...

This country sure has come a long way where now cops are the enemy.

Anonymous said...

Perception is 9/10ths of the law.Most accounts of inappropriate police behavior is inaccurate.Angry people rarely tell anything exactly as it happened.Comparisons of surveillance videos and the so called "victims" of inappropriate police action rarely correspond,advantage police.

Anonymous said...

I have no problem with talking to the police if they want to engage me in conversation. I politely ask if I am under arrest and if not can I go on my way. If I a m not allowed to go on my way, I simply state that I want to exercise my my right to to remain silent and would like to consult with my attorney before answering any questions. It would be wise for everyone else to do the same. Educate yourself by researching your rights before you are engaged in a conversation with a person that only has one objective and that is to gather evidence and make an arrest.