Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 14, 2014

Cig Butts Enforcement Would Be Big Hurdle

At both the local and state levels, cigarette butts are proving to be a real enforcement hurdle.

In recent weeks, officials at different levels have expressed a desire to curtail the amount of litter created by cigarette butts, nearly 5 trillion of which are tossed every year worldwide according to industry estimates.

In Ocean City, Councilman Brent Ashley’s press to have city police begin ticketing butt-flickers met with a tentative reception from the Ocean City Police Department at a recent council meeting.

“That is an area we can start to address, especially as the summer approaches,” OCPD Chief Ross Buzzuro said. “We want to reinforce the emphasis on cleanliness and respect for our town.”
More

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will they ever leave smokers alone? Most smokers I know are respectful with their surroundings.

Anonymous said...

Thats asensible approach ...better than a ban....should bring in needed revenue..

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Will they ever leave smokers alone? Most smokers I know are respectful with their surroundings.

March 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM

BullCrap!!! Most are very disrespectful. My neighbor smokes on her front porch and I can smell her cigarette inside my house when the windows are open. I can't even enjoy fresh air.

I can smell smoking at stoplights when a smoker has their window down and it comes in through my car AC.

I can smell smoking on the beach any time the breeze is blowing my way.

Just about every store including Walmart allows their employees to smoke right outside the door and I have to walk through that crap.

A friend text me this afternoon and told me another friend was just diagnosed with Stage 3 lung cancer and he is only in his 50's.

You are full of crap if you think most people are respectful of their surroundings.

My guess is you are an addicted heavy smoker. Learn to quit before you die of lung cancer.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Thats asensible approach ...better than a ban....should bring in needed revenue..

March 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Better than an ban? That's another bullcrap comment. All cigarettes should be banned. The only reason they are not is because you smoko's are buying smokes and increasing revenues. A lot of revenue even though you guys are killing yourselves and then we have to cry over you at your funeral.

Daddio said...

I can't tell you the number of times that I have observed smokers flick their spent butts out of the window of a car on the road.

Why is that smokers think that they have license to litter with impunity?

Anonymous said...

While the cops are writing tickets, the muggers & thieves & dope peddlers will be busy.. Just another TAX.

Anonymous said...

Just another reason for them to pull you over and harass you or just harass you as you walk down the street

Anonymous said...

Isn't this simple littering? Enforce that law and reduce fast food trash too.

Anonymous said...

Most smokers are pigs, period. I just swept up a couple hundred this morning from out front of my business and I have to do it all the time. Oh yeah, they don't call them "coffin nails" for nothing.