Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 06, 2013

CARSON: Getting To The Top By Starting At The Bottom

The lessons learned in youth jobs can pay off later

I vividly remember as a teenager obtaining my first job with a regular paycheck as a high school biology-laboratory assistant.

It’s hard to describe how excited I was to be receiving a salary and contributing to the upkeep of my family’s household, but the biggest thrill was doing something important while at the same time acquiring many skills that would prove useful in the future.

Through the kindness and interest of my high school science teachers, I gained great familiarity with many scientific techniques that enabled me to acquire a job in the science laboratory at a well-known university while I was still a high school student.

More

No comments: