Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Voters Oppose Corporate Tax Cuts But Favor Minimum Wage Hike, Poll Finds

Progressive Democrats are using new polling results to continue their push for increasing Maryland’s minimum wage to $10 an hour, while they reject attempts to lower corporate taxes.

A minimum wage hike and corporate tax cut are being discussed by General Assembly leaders ahead of the 2014 session.

The survey conducted by Gonzales Research and Marketing Strategies for Progressive Maryland, a coalition of liberal groups, found overwhelming support for increasing the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10, with more than 82% favoring the move. Support was strong from all groups — Democrats, Independents and even Republicans, as well as whites, blacks, men and women.

Read more

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corporations don't pay taxes...they simply collect the taxes from the consumer and distribute those taxes to the government..Why is this so hard for people to understand?? The higher the corporate tax, the more the consumer pays for the goods sold by the corporation. SMDH

Anonymous said...

i find the results of this poll hard to swallow.

Anonymous said...

If you make $15 per hour in an actual job, after FICA,State, Fed taxes, you end up with about $10. Take $1 p hr off for travel / food, you are at $9 p hr. Another better, smarter, and unaccountable way, get the welfare, stamps, phone, and you don't pay taxes on that amount. And in MD, you also get all of the other Gov perks because you are such a victim. The folks in politics don't know anything about the economy, running a business, or how to lead.

Anonymous said...

$10 per hour will equal higher unemployment.

Anonymous said...

IF I was making $10/hr now because I was doing a better job then the guy beside me making $7.50/hr I think I would be pissed when the Govt said he now gets a $2.50/hr raise because he cant live on the $7.50. YOu really think my boss is going to give me a $2.50 raise as well? Don't think so, now all the extra I put into the job just got shut down cause as usual everyone has to get a blue ribbon on field day just for showing up.

Let's see, I can't afford a $4 gallon of milk making $7.50/hr. My job is to crate up the gallons of milk and load on the bosses truck. Now the govt is going to insist I get $10/ hr so I can afford the milk. Now the milk man had to raise the price of the milk up to $8 to compensate for the unearned raise I just got so now I still can't afford the milk. Now at $8 per gallon no one buys the milk so now the milk man went out of business and I get shuffled to unemployment. Sounds like a sound Govt plan to me.

Anonymous said...

Tax cuts don't create jobs, consumers willing to spend does.