Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 11, 2013

ObamaScare

Last night (October 9), my wife brought home a pamphlet from our local CVS pharmacy, titled "Affordable Care Act Answers." I didn't expect to find anything in this simple booklet that I didn't already know, but it did refer me to their website on the topic, CVS.com/insurance, which my wife asked me to check out.
On the website is this Q&A entry:
Do I need to have insurance?

Yes. The ACA requires all Americans have health care coverage "that meets basic minimum standards."
I said to my wife, "That's flat-out false," and I sent a brief, indignant note to CVS from my iPad telling them of their mistake, and why they were wrong.
Then it occurred to me -- although I know that the CVS website statement is untrue, most Americans are acting as if, indeed, the federal government has ordered them to buy health insurance, or else. I've been checking the HealthCare.gov Facebook page (at https://www.facebook.com/Healthcare.gov) regularly, and I see people panicking -- they feel they must buy health insurance by December 15, and the signup website still doesn't work in its ninth day of being up and running (or should I say "not running"?).

More

No comments: