Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 11, 2013

I Was Sentenced To Life In Prison — Here's What My First Day Was Like

I remember my first day because it was my worst day. I was sentenced to life in prison on September 25, 1995 and about a week later was transferred from the San Diego County Jail to RJ Donovan Prison for intake into the state prison system.
The morning of my transfer a deputy came to my cell and told me that I was “catching the chain” to the pen. I had just made it to sleep as my cellmate and I had stayed up late playing chess and talking.

He was a 19-year-old 1st-termer headed to the joint with a life sentence and every night he would ask me a gang of questions about prison life. I felt compelled to answer his questions in as much detail as possible because I knew he didn't understand the danger he was headed into and he needed all the help he could get.

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kind of late wanting to change your ways.