Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Gephyrophobia Is Common In Maryland Thanks To The Bay Bridge

Thousands of drivers cross the Bay Bridge every day but for some people, that trip means high anxiety. A bridge phobia can turn a drive over the Chesapeake Bay into a nightmare.

Jessica Kartalija investigates their fears and whether anything can help.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is one of the longest, highest bridges. It’s also one of the most feared.

“I have this dream about a bridge that goes up and never comes down,” said one driver. “My fear is when I start to feel dizzy that I will pass out. My legs were shaking. Everything about it makes me nervous.”
More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol that bridge is a breeze(I've driven it with a 34' 5th wheel to a 54' TT and everything in between). More than likely it's Eastern Shore folk getting goosebumps about going somewhere off the Shore.

Anonymous said...

Do like I do people keep your eyes closed as long as you can. The trip driving goes by quick.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any problem crossing the old two lane bridge. But I do experience a little anxiety when I use the newer 3 lane bridge. One time while crossing the newer span I experienced a severe jolt when the expansion joint was uneven near the top. I swear I know that joint was at least 4 - 5 inches difference in height and the car jumped so bad that after I crossed over I got out and checked my front end.

Most recently I crossed over the newer span bridge while the painters scaffolding was in place and the scaffolding was covered in tarps. The winds were blowing and the bridge was moving up and down - (not sideways) - that I had a terrible feeling about crossing. After I crossed I telephoned the bridge officials and reported the movement and they informed me that they had others complain. The next day I saw on the news where they had closed it and called in inspectors. Now that was a very frightening moment for me.

Anonymous said...

I always slam a half pint of vodka to calm my nerves down before I drive over.

Anonymous said...

7:55: So what car do you drive and what's your tag number?