Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 08, 2013

The Next Gun Control Battle: A Right To Carry Firearms In Public?

With all the battles going on over guns, now there is a new one: whether there is a constitutional right to carry a firearm in public. The Supreme Court has said the Second Amendment guarantees the right to have a gun at home, but it left open whether that right extends to the street. Last month, two powerful federal courts came down on opposite sides of the question. The issue will no doubt eventually land in the Supreme Court – and the stakes will be high.

In 2008, the Supreme Court overturned a lot of accepted wisdom about gun control when it ruled in District Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment creates an individual right to possess a firearm. Until then, it was widely – if not universally – believed that the amendment was about raising “a well-regulated militia” – not about guaranteeing individuals the right to carry a gun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is fair. If individuals can not carry guns that also means police. Now. the constitution says a right to bear arms. So as the stupid liberal democrats are saying I can wear a t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

Every time I read the second amendment, it tells me I have a right ti put on a holstered handgun in the morning and wear it all day if I please.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you 7:03 I have the right to protect my family and not just in my home.