Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Our Personalities Are Constantly Changing, Even If We Think They’re Not

It’s rare that scientific journals explicitly engage philosophical conundrums, but a paper in this week’s Science magazine begins with the question: “Why do people so often make decisions that their future selves regret?” At age 18, that skull-and-crossbones tattoo seems like an unimpeachably cool idea; at 28, it’s mortifying. You meet the man of your dreams at 25 — except that your dreams have become so different by 35 that you end up divorced.

“Even at 68, people think, Ugh, I’m not the person I was at 58, but I’m sure I’ll be this way at 78,” says one of the Science study authors, Daniel Gilbert, a professor of psychology at Harvard University and author of the book Stumbling on Happiness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was accused of not having a personality when I was younger.I still don't.does that still mean I've changed?