Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Remembering The Strange Election Of 1876

During the era of Obama and Romney, historian Roy Morris Jr. looks back at the contested nineteenth-century race.

Let's put it this way: you can't take me anywhere.


About 13 years ago, I visited the Jimmy Carter Library and Museum in Atlanta with some friends. For some reason, I decided it would be fun to pose for a photo in the chair behind the desk in the mock Oval Office.
First I tripped over the velvet museum rope. Then the desk chair swung backwards as I sat in it, nearly flipping me over. Finally, I held up the desk's "The Buck Stops Here" sign for the photo and watched helplessly as its little metal holder fell off and clattered onto the floor.
That's when the security guard arrived on the scene. "Step away from the desk, sir."

No comments: