Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 10, 2012

Newspaper In Ditch

Hey Joe,

Just thought you would like to know: We received a Delmarva Crossroad’s newspaper thrown out in the ditch in front of our house tonight, (Sunday). The individuals delivering were driving so fast, most of the papers that they were throwing out were ending up in the middle of the road. I ran the delivery person down and asked them to stop throwing them out. When I went back home, I called the number on the back of the paper and left a message with our address asking to stop delivery here. Within a very few minutes an individual claiming to be John Robinson called me back (mind you I didn’t leave my phone number on my message). I informed him we did not want the paper here and also tried to inform him that the individuals delivering the paper were driving at a high rate of speed (for our neighborhood). Upon sharing this, the individual that called me (male) got argumentative. At that time, I forcefully told him “do not call me anymore”.

Upon hanging up on him, this same individual called right back. He proceeded to get very argumentative again, which escalated me to becoming very belligerent with him. Approximately 10 minutes went by and we started getting robo calls from an automatic dialer addressed thorough a weird set up of connections (which ended up being text to voice from a cell phone number), telling us that we have been removed from their publication list. Trouble is the robo dialer called four times.

I hope the computer call that we got is correct and we have been removed from their list.

I’m just wondering if anyone else feels the same way that I do. I feel quite sure I’m not the only one that does not want this paper thrown out in my yard. It seems evident that other people don’t want it either because it ends up laying on the side of the road or in ditches, never to be picked up.

Publishers Notes: Over the weekend I received a message from a very reliable source who informed me Robinson did a full page ad, (wanting to charge them $250.00 a week) and they did NOT agree to sign up. Robinson went ahead and published it anyway.

It seems Mr. Robinson is taking a page from Jonathan Taylor, putting up ads people do not want and when and if they tell them to take it down, oh boy! Taylor used to harass them and even go so far as to tell them he was going to do everything in his power to destroy their business.

We have seen several complaints come in about deliveries, radical driving, illegal flashing strobe lights on the vehicle without permits and or being an emergency vehicle, the list goes on and on similar to yours.

I have stated this from the beginning. If Robinson simply had a paper like the Coastal Dispatch, the Beachcomber, Ocean City Today and The Guide and they were all placed in specific locations where people had the opportunity to pick them up at will, that would be one thing. However, shoving it down your throats, (to me) is pretty much littering.

I would think with enough complaints to the City and County your representatives would have to do something about this nuisance. In the mean time, know that some advertisers are NOT paying to advertise in that paper and always know that Salisbury News charges $100.00 A MONTH for an ad, NOT $250.00 a week. Know that Salisbury News circulation blows away Robinson's paper and guess what, they come here because THEY WANT TO.

I too have been the recipient of numerous phone calls from John Robinson any time we publish anything he disagrees with. I'm sure I'll get yet another call on this one telling me what I'm saying is not true. Well, it is true and I have the information proving such. Mr. Robinson needs to learn in this business that he can't bully people into getting his way. I can't and I won't be bullied by ANY ONE.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it wasn't Jim Ireton calling?

Anonymous said...

John is also desperate for people to write articles for him. I find it funny because after having a conversation with him I realized he will accept anyone. That's not how to run a paper. You want people with experience not people who just want to write to see it in print. I thought you might have a good idea John, until talking to you. Stick to your family business and skateboards.

Anonymous said...

The paper will never amount to much because he is doing something akin to 1940's marketing of the paper. To toss free papers in someone's yard anymore is not the way to go and only ticks people off. The way the publications you mention is the way to go. People are too mobile anymore and can pick up their own from displays in businesses.

Anonymous said...

1. Get a speed camera set up in your neighborhood

2. Thought the roof fell in on the Newspaper place. Where they publishing now?

Anonymous said...

Just kick the paper out to the middle of the road. That will get somebody's attention...

Anonymous said...

The DT's does this in an attempt to keep their circulation numbers up I believe.

Anonymous said...

I live in Meadowbrook division in Fruitland and there are numerous papers in the street and over the storm drains. People are just not picking them up. Have called to have delivery stopped, but to no avail.

Daddio said...

The Fruitland cops should have no problem figuring out the source of their littering problems, clogging up the storm drains, etc.

Maybe the Chesapeake Bay watershed folks would like to file a complaint?

Anonymous said...

The lights on his vehicle are illegal.

Anonymous said...


I was just telling my husband this morning why dont he just put them in public areas and let people pick them up if they want them??? I saw a stack on Sunday at Sage Diner. This is still distributing. Not littering.
It is not worth the money it takes to unstop a drain on our street.
Act responsible for a change.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I see free papers in an eating establishment I check them out and usually pick one up..as do many other people.My choice, not forced on me. Right now there is a paper in front of my house and in my ditch. Not sure if is the one in question or DT. I am leaving them right there. By the way I was told from a DT subscriber that the rates are going up and the onlne edition is going to no longer be free. Now where will I find out who died?

Anonymous said...

here's an idea...... pick up the paper and lets ALL throw them in Johns front yard or at his business!! maybe he will get the hint!!

Anonymous said...

They only pay $30.00 an article. If you sit in a council meeting for 4 hours and then take another hour to write an article its not worth it. Then there's gas to get to and from work. I saw the list of employees this guy has working there and there is no way he's going to make it. Not to mention the paper is loaded with crap.

Anonymous said...

Most of the people still getting the DT, do so only to get the sale flyers. Most don't care about the news content because with the internet, any news print is old news by the time it hits the streets.

With a spoof phone caller as executive director of a bunch of children running wild, their fate is sealed in good time.

Anonymous said...

Black Suburban with oversized rims and aftermarket lights fornt and back. High rate of speed on Sunday at 5:15PM in Foxchase with young mlaes in back seat throwing papers in driveways, yards, etc. Nice business model...

Anonymous said...

Typical M.O. of Robinson. He tells everyone how many employees he has and they are only a bunch of his son's friends working for a few bucks. A bit of advice Johnny, if the kids delivering your "Newspaper" are speeding and driving recklessly just happen to get into an accident, the $h*t will fall on you faster than the decrepit roof on your downtown rathole. Knowing your unwillingness to operate businesses with proper insurances, someone else might wind up with your pot of melted gold.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I thought this birdcage liner came out on Thursday. Why is it being delivered three days later? Old news gets better with age? Or is Robinson having problems paying the printer?

Anonymous said...

That paper sucks.

Anonymous said...

Can we get a city ordinance to make this kind of littering illegal?

Anonymous said...

Isn't their some kind of MD traffic law already about throwing something out of a moving vehicle?

Anonymous said...

Thats what we did all over Fruitland

Anonymous said...

The Daily Times has been sending out their "throw away" paper for years. The ones in the pink bags that sit for weeks & months in yards where people refuse (or are too lazy) to pick them up & throw them out/recycle. The Daily Times doesn't stop if you call either. I got the increase notice. Thinking the Sunday coupons aren't worth it.

Anonymous said...

The advertisers pay the Daily Times for the wicomico weekly to be delivered to your house. Its not a number thing !

Anonymous said...

John Robinson is a tool. I don't know why anyone would trust him enough to spend money with him.