Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, November 18, 2011

More Americans Calling it Quits: Another Sign the Job Market May be Better Than it Looks

With 14 million people unable to find work and job prospects seemingly bleak, why are more employees calling it quits?

According to government data released last week, in the first nine months of the year, about 17.3 million people left their jobs by choice. That's up 9% from last year, when just under 16 million people called it quits through September. And that rate appears to be increasing. In September alone, just over 2 million told their boss they were taking a hike - the most since November 2008 - an 11% increase from a year earlier.

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like election time hipe.

Tim Chaney said...

Take this job and shove it! There are jobs out there but they aren't going to come knocking on your door, you have to work hard finding one.

Many good companies don't seek employees by conventional means anymore I.E. newspaper, Craig's list, Career Builder, SimplyHired etc.

The good jobs that probably pay a lot better than those found by conventional means can only be found by researching different companies and career opportunities on their websites.

Searching like that I found that there is a Berelli (Top knotch) shotgun factory in Pocomoke that I never knew exsisted.

Anonymous said...

I waited through the last 3 years for the economy to pick back up and things to get better at my job. The worse things got, the more employees they let go, and the more work the poor employees left there had to do. Well I did for the last three years and then I told them they could kiss my ____. Can't tell you how much better I feel. I have another job now which only took a couple of months to find and the pay is not quite as good. BUT, all my headaches (which were stress related) went away, and all the stomach medicine I was taking for acid reflux went away with the reflux. I was denied unemployment of course because I quit for "not good causes" or some such happy horse _____. But it was okay to hire me for one job and pay me for one job and then ask me to do the job of 3-4 people. Because of these tough economic times, they claimed. Oh well, they can keep their measly ___ unemployment and the job can find someone else to ______ on and I'll take less money and my health back. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Anonymous said...

4:53 PM

Good for you.