Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 26, 2011

OPM Recovers $490 Mil Of $600 Mil Paid In Improper Payments

The Office of Personnel Management has created a new task force to work on stopping improper payments to dead annuitants. This after an Inspector General's report found the agency paid $600 million in retirement benefits to dead people. OPM Director John Berry told Federal News Radio he plans to check with the task force on a weekly basis. The agency has already recovered almost $490 million of the money in question, and is working on the rest. OPM says it has implemented 10 of 14 recommendations made by the inspector general. The leaves just four more to tackle, including tracking undeliverable IRS forms and modernizing their retirement system technology

1 comment:

lmclain said...

I wonder how many criminal charges were filed against people who cashed those $600 MILLION in checks? If I rob a bank, can I just give the money back when the police catch me? Noooooo. But I can cash checks and use money obtained fraudulently and all I have to do is return the money? I guess if it works for major corporations and Wall Street bankers and investment firms, it's okay for the rest of us?