Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

13% Of Americans Will Boycott Christmas Spending

Online spending on Thanksgiving day reached $3.7 billion, topped by Black Friday sales of $6.2 billion, and Cyber Monday sales of $7.9 billion - it’s a staggering amount of spending, but there’s another data set casting a cloud over the enthusiasm: Growing numbers of Americans plan to boycott holiday spending, entirely.

While shopping madness has many Americans feverishly trying to find the best gifts for everyone on their list, others are protesting the commercialization of Christmas. In fact, the 2018 Bankrate Holiday Gifting Survey showing that 13 percent of American shoppers are planning to completely boycott holiday spending.

That means they’ll be resisting all the sales gimmicks designed to pressure consumers into spending—and overspending, in the end. And if they’re going to drop all that cash on Christmas, some say they’d rather take a family vacation.

It’s a small percentage—for now. But it’s a piece of data that still should make retailers nervous.

“It's interesting to see that so many people aren’t participating in gift-buying,” noted Bankrate data analyst Adrian Garcia.

“I see it as a realization that people need fewer things, especially as they get older, and that it’s more important to spend time together, or donate to a charity.”

Despite growing consumer resistance, 45 percent of shoppers will still spend beyond their comfort zone, says Bankrate's survey. And in this race to show their love by gifts—where larger gifts apparently mean more love--Americans are prepared to plunge themselves into heavy debt.

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't need or want anything. If my wife and I need anything, we just go out and buy it. Since some of my relatives are retired and on a fixed income, we agree to just get together for a great meal. Since I am still working, I buy the luxury items like Shrimp and Crab meat. My brother brings the beer and wine and my mother bakes a ham. This works out great and no one is under pressure to spend.

I also believe Christmas is over commercialized and the true meaning of Christmas has been forgotten. It's the celebration of the Birth of Jesus.

I celebrate by attending Advent and Christmas Eve services at my church.
My family also sings in the Choir.

There is nothing better, and I receive more joy from this than material things that don't really last anyway.

As you get older, you discover that family and friends are way more important than any material things.

Anonymous said...

Amen Jesus is the reason for the season!

Anonymous said...

I agree 3:12
Our family does the exact same thing
Don't need all this crap which doesn't last anymore anyway
Family and food and fun conversation

Anonymous said...

TGIFs are important too and not commercialized!

(snicker snicker)

3 days until the next TGIF!

Anonymous said...

I've never stop buying ..Younger People Mostly Family ALWAYS need Gift Help !!!