Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Arnold Ahlert: Entitlements: Moral Bankruptcy Fuels Fiscal Bankruptcy

And if enough Americans continue countenancing the former, the latter is inevitable.

Few things reveal the fraudulent nature of our ostensible two-party system better than the nation’s steady march toward fiscal armageddon. Neither Democrats nor Republicans evince anything resembling fiscal responsibility. Instead both parties are about prioritizing programs, entitlements and pork-barrel spending projects each one needs to ensure its respective political constituencies are sufficiently bought off. In short, political self-interest has eviscerated statesmanship.

“Deficits will top $800 billion this year and will reach $1 trillion by 2020, just as President Trump prepares to face voters in his bid for re-election,” The Washington Times reports. “They will remain above $1 trillion for the foreseeable future … painting a better economic picture but a significantly worse fiscal picture than last year.”

The future revealed by the Congressional Budget Office’s (CBO) “2017 Long-Term Budget Outlook” is surreal. And despite assertions by a group of liberal economists that the latest tax cuts, rather than entitlement programs, are leading the way, is absurd.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look what entitlements have done to England.

Anonymous said...

Entitlements are when the government takes the people's money by force and then allows them to get it back in the future.
The people are "entitled to it" - because it was taken from them by force originally.

Get it?

Not Welfare.

Entitlement - YOU and I are ENTITLED TO IT. It is our money.

Anonymous said...

I too can not wrap my head around WHY people do not understand entitlements. The government took my money when I was 18 for Medicare. They contintued to take my money for Medicare the next 40 years. I am retired and had to sign up for Medicare or I would receive a large fine later if I did decided to use it (50 percent). I sign up and I still have to pay the government $143.00 quarterly for Medicare. Now tell me how that is welfare. If the government wants to give me back all that money they took from me I would be very happy.