Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, March 10, 2018

One Hundred Years Later, the Madness of Daylight Saving Time Endures

One hundred years after Congress passed the first daylight saving legislation, lawmakers in Florida this week passed the “Sunshine Protection Act,” which will make daylight saving a year-round reality in the Sunshine State.

If approved by the federal government, this will effectively move Florida’s residents one time zone to the east, aligning cities from Jacksonville to Miami with Nova Scotia rather than New York and Washington, D.C.

The cost of rescheduling international and interstate business and commerce hasn’t been calculated. Instead, relying on the same overly optimistic math that led the original proponents of daylight saving to predict vast energy savings, crisper farm products harvested before the morning dew dried and lessened eye strain for industrial workers, Florida legislators are lauding the benefits of putting “more sunshine in our lives.”

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish they would leave the longer days in place all year

Anonymous said...

We need daylight savings time year round. Think of how much money could be saved by not putting your lights on for 4 hours until around 9 pm.

Anonymous said...

Everyone I talk to is thrown out of whack by time changes

Anonymous said...

"I wish they would leave the longer days in place all year...."

I agree; those 25 hour days really make life so much better!

Anonymous said...

I love DST! It provides so much more productivity, energy savings and personal the after work to get home projects done. Yeah, I show up for church the next morning in the middle of the wrong service, but maybe skipping church twice a year won't send me to hell. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Why would I want to be held back from starting my day by an hour and be forced to work during the hottest hours when I could start in the cool dawn and get off when it gets too hot to be productive?

Anonymous said...


We can set our clocks as we wish but Ma Nature only provides so much sun each day. I'm up for more daylight after work!