Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 16, 2017

Women should dye hair max six times a year, claims surgeon

Women should dye their hair no more than six times a year and use natural ingredients to reduce the risk of cancer, a breast surgeon has claimed.

Professor Kefah Mokbel, of the Princess Grace Hospital in central London, found that women who colour their hair are 14 per cent more likely to suffer breast cancer.

He said women should 'reduce exposure' to synthetic dyes by using ingredients such as henna, rose hip, and beetroot instead.

Professor Mokbel's study concluded: 'Although further work is required to confirm our results, our findings suggest that exposure to hair dyes may contribute to breast cancer risk.'

He wrote on Twitter: 'Women are advised to reduce exposure to synthetic hair dyes to two to six times per year and undergo regular breast screening from the age of 40.

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting. My mom died of breast cancer at age 53 and she did dye her hair back in the 1960's and 70's. I'm not sure what kind of dye was used back then.

Anonymous said...

I never dyed my hair, ever, and had breast cancer.

Anonymous said...

Im 53 survived breast cancer and I started dying my hair in my 20’s! Scary!

Anonymous said...

Over 90% of American women color their hair. It's big business.

Anonymous said...

I doubt it's 90%. I've never understood why they do it anyway.