Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, July 25, 2016

Dish Network Loses Record-Setting 281,000 Subscribers

Dish Network Corp. lost a record number of TV subscribers in the second quarter as programming blackouts and price increases drove customers to seek cheaper online alternatives, reviving industrywide concerns about “cord-cutting.”

Dish shed 281,000 pay-TV customers in the quarter, compared with a loss of 81,000 a year earlier, according to a statement from the Englewood, Colorado-based company Thursday. That marks the biggest loss of TV subscribers in any quarter. The rate of monthly customer defections, or churn, rose to 1.96 percent from 1.71 percent a year earlier, Dish said in a separate filing.

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They suck you in on the $35.00 per month plan that turns out to really be $120.00 per month after all the charges are added up.

Anonymous said...

It's crazy , paying these prices
for TV----after you get connected they
cut out the most popular ones & raise
their prices! Never fails either .
anyway.
Most TV isn't fit to watch
so I'll do without it , watch
WE Tv & & read something beneficial.

Anonymous said...

I got rid to them 10 years ago because their equipment kept failing and the reconditioned receivers they sent me were just as bad. You would be on the phone for hours/days to get the matter resolved.

When my commitment was done, I canceled my subscription. I canceled Comcast cable a year ago because of poor service and they started charging you for additional receivers. They forced you to lease a receiver when your cable ready tv would no longer work because they scrambled your basic cable channels.
I also refused to pay over a hundred dollars for basic cable and internet. I still have their internet and until I can find a good alternative, I will cancel this as well.
You can get what you want to watch anyway with streaming services with roku and off air digital. I watch mainly local news anyway, and surf the internet for the rest.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet DirecTV is also loosing subscribers. High prices and lack of quality programming can make it easy to do without! I read an article recently that Comcast is looking at a pay as you go service for streaming. They are test marketing it in three states in August. Illinois is one of the states.
I personally like the Idea of only paying for what you want to watch. I'm sure the devil is in the details!

Anonymous said...

Year #8 for me with no TV and no newspaper. I am better informed and better entertained by the internet. And there are no commercials.