Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 25, 2016

How Moms are Taking on the $20 Billion School Lunch Market

The days of school mystery meat may be over.

A startup called No Fuss Lunch is on a mission to transform school lunches into healthy, organic, non-GMO meals.

“I immediately knew right out the gate that there was a real need, that parents wanted more for their kids and healthier options,” Gaby Wilday, founder of No Fuss Lunch, tells FOXBusiness.com.

Wilday, a mother of three, started the company after her daughter brought home uneaten, expired army-issued raisins from her school lunch which “was considered a fruit.”

“I thought this was nuts,” adds Wilday. “I started making seven lunches for free for my friends’ kids and now we have a waitlist, doing over 2,000 lunches on any given day.”

The privately owned company, whose lunches range from $3.75 to $7.50 per day, doesn’t receive any federal subsidy grants like most conventional food service providers in schools do.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


I sat in my child's school one day for a full lunch shift and the amount of waste I saw was embarrassing. It should be obvious to everyone in the food service dept at the boe, that the lunches are not on par.

I understand the volume of lunches they need to serve, but come on!

I asked the lunch lady if I could see the nutritional facts about the lunches I saw. She said no, we don't have them.

I wish they would bring in this type of program, but they won't.

Anonymous said...

Mother's should have been doing this, anyway.