Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What Would It Take To Cut U.S. Data Cables And Halt Internet Access?

In the tense relationship between Russia and the United States, the latest salvo comes via The New York Times: According to American military and intelligence officials, Russian submarines and spy ships are "aggressively operating" near submarine cables that carry Internet communications, raising concerns of a potential attack "in times of tension or conflict."

The submarine cables are obscure, yet incredibly vital infrastructure that basically carries most of the communications around the world. Descendants of the old telegraph networks, fiber-optic data cables snake across the bottom of the oceans, linking continents to each other and shuttling the vast majority of all voice and data traffic.

The Times report presents an account from unnamed military and intelligence officials that Russia's naval activities along the known cable routes are raising concerns in the Pentagon:

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I honestly can't wait for people to be walking around like aimless zombies because their cell phones stop working.I say go for it

Anonymous said...

I am with you 10:30AM


I want this crap to go down already, get it over with, lets start the wars and get on with it... stop pushing the time table back on the inevitable...

Then, I am going to laugh my ass off at these people who just sat there and watched it happen... Then I am going to cry because life as we know it will be over and if anyone survives other than the politician and rich people, I will feel bad for those who did not deserve this, the ones who actually gave a damn and tried to fight against this... The ones who let it happen yet run their mouth about how wrong it was and all that jazz, I will have no remorse for anything that happens to them because as I said, they deserve it...