OCEAN CITY, MD – : As all of the young trick-or-treaters dressed as witches and warlocks and party-going ghosts and goblins hit the streets of Ocean City, the Ocean City Police Department reminds everyone to be safe this Halloween.
Parents are encouraged to remind their trick-or-treaters of the following safety tips before going out in search of Halloween candy:
- Never trick-or-treat alone. Always stay with a parent or guardian. If the child is trusted to trick-or-treat alone, remind the child to stay with friends and only go to areas that are familiar and are well lit.
- Fasten reflective tape to costumes and always carry a flashlight. This will make the child more visible to drivers. Also, choose face paint and makeup instead of masks. This prevents the child’s vision from being obstructed.
- Only eat factory-wrapped treats and avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
- Enter homes only when with a trusted adult. Only visit well-lit homes and avoid dark houses. Also, never accept any rides from strangers while trick-or-treating.
- Always remember to stay on the sidewalk and only cross the street at the crosswalk when the signal gives the okay. Walk Smart!
For those older ghosts and goblins that will be celebrating Halloween, keep the party off the road. Remember these safety tips while celebrating:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver.
- If you’re impaired, take a taxi, call a sober friend or family member or use public transportation.
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, do not hesitate to contact law enforcement.
- And remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. If you know someone who is about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
By following these simple safety tips, everyone celebrating Halloween in Ocean City will be sure to have a spooky good time!