Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Letter to the Editor --JiffyLube incident--it was ugly

Dear Joe,

This is what happened today. Your opinion? And this shouldn't happen to a poor old widder woman...

Today's mystery doesn't have an ending, at least not yet. However, there are numerous facts that lead to sound deductions at this point.

What am I talking about? A trip to my local Jiffy Lube for a simple oil change. I did not expect what happened after they pulled my old war horse of a truck into the bay and certainly not what occurred afterwards. Let's see if you concur with me as to what you should consider the outcome to be.

I'll start with the fact that I've been going to this same Jiffy Lube since at least 1988 with nary a problem. In and out, oil changes, filters changed, sometimes wiper blades, through 4 vehicles. It's simple, it's quick, that's why I use it. Now that I work from home, I don't have to drive much. When you talk about 20 miles a week with an extra ten a month to another store outside of the grocery store, it doesn't impact the truck too much.

Is the truck old? Yep, it is, It's a 2000 Ford F150 my husband bought years ago and about 2009 the engine was entirely refurbished. Has it has other issues? Yep, a few; tires, the radiator hose, and new starter and plugs, normal stuff for a vehicle that old.

Further disclaimer, when you have an older vehicle, before any drive, any trip, no matter how short (it's 10 miles to town), you do a pre-inspection, a "flight check" for any leaks of any kind beneath the vehicle. It's just something I've done for years and years, it's automatic, you just do. No drips, no leaks, no lights on the dash, and all the dials within levels, I'm good to go as along as no shudders or hiccups. The big old behomoth purrs in her own way, smooth to start, and runs well. The air conditioner has gone up, but the heat works, and the fan only runs on high, but really, what more can you ask for?

So I set off this morning, my stop was to get the oil changed to get ready for cooler weather. I pulled in, left it running as the gents with smiles came out to me as their only other customer was pulling out. I went to the waiting room area like I always do and watched them pull my truck in.

I got the normal spiel about all the services, opted to get the air filter changed, but no wipers, no transmission service, no, no, no, just the oil change with higher mileage oil. The bill was close to $90 which made me cringe but needed to be done.

They finished quickly, the hood was down, they were greasing up the fittings from below and then I saw people scrambling about the truck, looking beneath it, conferring with each other. I stood and looked, waiting for someone to come and tell me that something was wrong.

Then they just pulled the truck to the front, like right to the literal edge of the property at road's edge at the busy highway, keys in the ignition and left the door open. The girl came in and printed up the bill for me to pay. I paid, nothing was said about any problem.

I walked out and hopped into the truck, put my foot on the brake to start the truck and the pedal went right to the floor. I mean RIGHT to the floor. I pulled back and tried again, right to the floor.

I don't know why I repeated the process, I knew I had NO BRAKES, none. It wasn't that way when I pulled in less than 20 minutes before. I opened the door and leaned out and called back to the crew in the bay.

I said, "Hey, I have NO BRAKES, what's going on?"

The youngest of the group, the one they sent as a scapegoat ambled up. He said the truck was that way when I pulled up. I told him it certainly wasn't. Then another came over who said that the truck was like that when he got in right after I got out.

NO it wasn't.

I was flummoxed, looked at them totally dumbfounded. "What am I supposed to do, I can't drive this?"

"Ma'm, we don't do brakes, I don't know what to tell you."

With that, they ran like roaches. There wasn't another customer there at the time and they ran to the bathrooms or the office, they disappeared.

I certainly couldn't drive the truck ANYWHERE, there were no brakes at all.

I started the truck and slowly idled in reverse enough to turn it around in the parking lot, having to swing around the back, eyeing where I pulled in...no leakage there before pulling up on the side of the building leaving enough room for a tow truck.

I called AAA for a tow, called Pepboys that I was coming with a broken vehicle and then got out to look beneath my truck. It was spewing brake fluid like someone cut an artery. And there I sat waiting for my tow for a bit. Not a soul from inside came out to see if I was okay or not, or if they could help, offer a phone, nothing. They just wanted me to go away.

Grant's Service came and picked me up a smile and expertly delivered me to Pepboys who has my vehicle and the determination of 'just what happened' I'll find out tomorrow.

Could it be coincidence that the brake line ruptured during an oil change without any action on the part of the service crew? Yes, it's possible. Is it likely, no.

First of all, why would they LIE about the brake pedal going to the floor not 3 seconds after I exchanged seats with the guy pulling it into the service lane? Because it didn't happen then, there was no leakage at that spot in the entry lane, trust me I looked while maneuvering the truck back for a tow. Secondly, WHY would they NOT even tell me about a leak or rupture and expect me to simply drive away in an obviously UNSAFE vehicle?

There was no, "Ma'm, did you know there is a leak, a problem with your brakes?"

Nope, nothing, NADA, here's the bill, have a nice day.

Oh, they knew, they KNEW!

Even if for some amazing coincidence the brake line ruptured while they were changing the oil and the truck was not running, they should have alerted me that there was a major problem rather than just hoping I would go away taking my life in my hands along with anyone else on the roadways.

I'm an old woman, a widow woman, obviously without a lot of monetary resources because I'm driving a 15 year old vehicle, but I'm not stupid. It was an egregious error on their part. What their actions showed to me is that they DID know. Whether or not they caused the problem, yet to be determined by the mechanics, not saying anything to me, warning me there was a problem speaks volumes to me about their culpability.

I'm hoping to have the truck fixed tomorrow and it will be pricey, much more than my budget can afford. Jiffy Lube Corporate will be hearing from me. I do not play with customer service, I don't. I do tend to go right to the top of the food chain, When I've HAD to do that in the past, I've done it. I do customer service for a living. I know how this works and "I" give great service.

I don't scream or yell or cuss at people. I take that abuse every day in my work. I'm polite and I expect politeness in return. There wasn't even an offer of, "Are you okay?" Especially when I obviously wasn't okay, I was quietly freaking out trying not to cry not knowing what I should do next. They just wanted me to drive off their lot and disappear. I'm sure they wouldn't have worried if I caused a 4 vehicle pile-up just as long as I went AWAY.

Jiffy Lube lost a customer of over 25 years and they are about to lose a few more. The sad part is that they could have saved a customer by a few simple, positive responses. They didn't want to get into trouble. I understand that, nobody wants to get into trouble. No one wants to call their big boss and admit they royally screwed up because they don't want the fall out. They didn't want to take responsibility for an error or damage at worst or advise caution at the very least.

Sans that warning that there was NOW a spraying leak of brake fluid they KNEW about, they are in trouble. Now the franchise owner won't be the only one to know about this.

So, play Sherlock, what do you deduce?

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to take them to court to pay for the repair and tow bill.

Anonymous said...

If you travel in Delaware within a few days of when they have salted for ice or snow the underside of your vehicle will be covered with sodium chloride, not salt because that's what they use. It takes thawing or rain to remove it from the roads. It rots/rusts brake lines quickly. Over the course of ten years I've had to completely replace every brake line on three vehicles, one was only a few years old. I don't think Maryland uses sodium chloride? Long after a snow that I had driven my truck in, my truck wasn't used for months. When I got in it one day to leave, as soon as I touched the brakes, I had the same experience this lady had too. They worked when I parked it but failed months later, right to the floor. The truck was just a few years old.

I do my own oil changes said...

Every time I drive by there, the help is playing catch with a Ball, or playing on cell phones...

They seem to be losers who cannot get a job anywhere else.

Anonymous said...

I do wish she would 'call out' which Jiffy Lube this was...If my suspicions are correct.....One has left a belt tightener in my wife's car, not once but twice, following a serpentine belt replacement

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Sounds like you need to take them to court to pay for the repair and tow bill.

September 7, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Sue, Sue, Sue you freaking idiots that's all you know. You have to have a reason to sue. Just because you suspect there may be a problem is not grounds for a law suit. I agree this doesn't pass the smell test, but suing?? And Oh boy I bet the experts at Pep Boys is going to find the problem and testify in court for you. LMAO. They have the largest turn over of employees than most businesses. When did being an oil changer make you an expert in the field of Mechanics. Pep Boys mechanics are barely anything more than oil changers. Anyone with certifications and experience will have their own shop or working for a good auto dealer.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous I do my own oil changes said...
Every time I drive by there, the help is playing catch with a Ball, or playing on cell phones...

They seem to be losers who cannot get a job anywhere else.

September 7, 2015 at 9:35 AM

... or smoking cigarettes

Anonymous said...

Of the three times I've used Jiffy Lube, I've had a problem twice. First it was leaving the oil filler cap off the manifold cover - oil everywhere and a missing oil filler cap. They replaced the oil and the cap, but didn't even offer to clean out the engine compartment.
Second time, misthreaded and stripped the oil pan drain bolt - only discovered it when the bolt was taken out the next time for service - had to pay for a new one out of pocket, along with retapping the oil pan's drain hole.

I haven't been back since. I've had excellent service at a locally owned shop, without the sales pressure and screwups that Jiffy Lube seems to be famous for. And I pay a lot less for an oil change and system check and tire fill and fluid top-off - around $45 for full synthetic oil and new filter vs. Jiffy Lube's $75+. And when my guy tells me that I need something fixed, he's always been right.

Anonymous said...

@ 9:32 said: when they have salted for ice or snow the underside of your vehicle will be covered with sodium chloride, not salt

Hate to break it to you 9:32 but sodium chloride (NaCl) IS salt.

Anonymous said...

Took a vehicle to them for an oil change before a long road trip. They changed the oil with no problems. After driving two hours the car made a loud bang and shut down. We coasted to the shoulder and got out to see what the issue was. Oil was pouring out the bottom of the car. We called a tow truck and had it brought back home, but to a different garage. The next day it was discovered that Jiffy Lube had installed the WRONG oil filter which caused the engine to throw a rod. Thank God they owned up to it without much resistance. Jiffy Lube had to purchase a NEW motor, not a used one.
Never went to Jiffy Libe again.

Anonymous said...

yeah 9:32 they use sodium chloride. I used to mix it with water but that didn't do much, now i use dihydrogen oxide which works much betterer.

Anonymous said...

I went in to have the oil changed. They said I needed the radiator flushed. So they did that and apparently they didn't add any or enough fluid to it after they were done. Result was new motor and Jiffy Lube refused to take any responsibility. Lesson learned the hard and expensive way. My recommendation is DO NOT GO TO JIFFY LUBE for anything....well maybe an air freshener. Nah, I wouldn't even buy an air freshener from them.

Anonymous said...

10:01 am
Please let us know who "your local guy" is
& I'll take him my business.

Sooooo difficult to fing trust worthy
people these days!!!!!

Anonymous said...

9:35 AM
At least they have jobs.

Anonymous said...

Jiffy Lube used to employ work release prisoners...not sure if they still do that...Once I went there with daughter and friend...they had just gotten their school pictures and left them on the back seat. someone opened the friend's picture packet and wrote that she was ugly! I have never gone back again....Peninsula Total Car Care is MUCH cheaper and they don't "find" problems that aren't there. Great Christian family owned business that you can trust.

Anonymous said...

I am a know nothing when it comes to mechanical issues,but there must be a close proximity between the aspects of the oil change and the brake lines.I went to an entirely different place to have an oil change and left with no brakes.Pedal to the floor just like you.Came in with 100% brakes,left with notta.Scared the heck out of me when I pulled onto the highway.Of course they were belligerent when I took it back,and denied any involvement.The next time I'm telling them "I won't take you to court if you'll just fix it".Hopefully there won't be a next time.Incidentally,mine was a pickup,but not a Ford.Mine was a mid 90's Dakota.

Anonymous said...

That whole stretch of shops including Meineke are as crooked as they come. I have never seen anything like it. Rt13 from Church St. to Courtesy all suck. Sherwood no Sher-would-not they are as crooked as they come. The idiot at Meineke Cory should have been arrested years ago. It is fact they have been caught damaging vehicles to get additional work. 68 year old women on a fixed income and they hustled her for a new brake system front to back. Car was less then four years old. They showed her a pepsi bottle with a mixture of oil and water and told her there was oil in the brake system and it had ruined all the rubber grommets. lol Common

The bottom line find a private shop. The flat rate shops are crooked.

Anonymous said...

Ok first of all you don't step on the brakes to start a Ford or any car for that matter unless the car has a start button...that year vehicle does not. Second jiffy lube is exactly what the name says...they do oil changes and that's about it. They don't hire trained techs. If you want quality work then I suggest a real shop that actually knows cars...not just oil changes....and yes its not unusual for a 2000 vehicle to have rusted brake lines on the shore.

Anonymous said...

Ok here's a hint for all you would be pro mechanics....any vehicle that is older than 10 years old can have brake line failure on the metal(rust) or rubber lines. It's not uncommon and jiffy lube isn't going to see it. Taking you vehicle to a shop once a year for a look over is the best thing for your vehicle and your safety. Taking your vehicle to a dealership is the best bet. Those techs are trained on your vehicle and spend alot of time in training to be fully up to date on your vehicle. Most small shops have techs that aren't dealership material.....that's why they work in small shops

Anonymous said...

1:04
I automatically step on the brake when I start my vehicle it is just a habit that many people do. The next step is to put it into a gear. Mine will not go into any gear without having my foot on the brake.

Anonymous said...

Contact the shockley family in whiton maryland they own the local jiffy lube franchise.

They are decent people and no way affliated with chip shockleys auto repair down the road.

This guy would make scammers row on rt 13 mentioned in a previous comment look like Mr Rodgers.

Anonymous said...

1:04 PM

it's called safety.

Anonymous said...

9:56 AM

there is nothing wrong with suing anyone. that hits them in the wallet and pretty much guarantees change. that's part of the reason this area is so haphazard with anything you pay for. they know ultra conservatives like you won't say or do anything so they keep on doing whatever they feel.

Anonymous said...

104 your a moron..i guess you kniw what everyone does. I push my brake everytime i start my vehicle. Because its a stick and you push the brake on all sticks to start genius

Anonymous said...

lady, high mileage oil is just a gimmick. oil is oil and never wears out. it's the additives they put in oil that wears out. if you change your oil regularly you won't have any problems with regular oil and save a few bucks.

Anonymous said...

how did they stop it when they parked it? or is that why is was so near the highway?

Anonymous said...

Ok I get the bashing of mechanics...sure we are all thieves......I guess if your all so much smarter than us fix your own cars.....buy the special tools.....the proper shop manuals.....train yourselves.....oh wait most of you cant....comparing a dealership to a jiffy lube is funny but not even close. A 2000 vehicle is nearly 16 years old....old and tired.....and costly to maintain.....

Anonymous said...

Which Jiffy Lube location did this take place>??

Anonymous said...

People. Just because a place does a particular job as a bussiness down not mean they are good at it. It takes a PROFESSIONAL auto tech to check and double check. It also takes a professional business that if something is not done right, they stand buy it,,,,,,,,,Go to Pohanka You won't be disappointed

Anonymous said...

Hey 209 quite the brainiac....it's a clutch pedal you press to start a manual transmission car....not the brake pedal.....you folks are a bright group....

Anonymous said...

My former employer, with whom I'm very close, got a cracked oil pan at Jiffy Lube. They refused to admit any wrong doing and he never went back. A girlfriend of mine went to Meineke for her oil changes. When her father came into town from NC, a mechanic himself, he checked her oil and it hadn't been changed (although she had just taken it there days before). The poster above is right when they say all of those chain shops are crooks. There are several great local shops and your best bet is to use one of them.

Anonymous said...

What is a 'widder'?

Anonymous said...

When you had Grants tow your vehicle, you should have taken it to their shop. They are honest and trustworthy.

Anonymous said...

I don't think she is complaining as much about the brake line as she is about them not saying anything about it then allowing her to drive an unsafe vehicle, putting herself and others at risk. Sounds like all they wanted was for her to leave. Not good for Jiffy Lube at all. I won't take my vehicles there again.

Anonymous said...

I always go to the dealership and I have never had a problem.

Anonymous said...

They are trained to change oil, wipers and flush radiators, and that's about it.

Your truck was 15 years old. When was the last time you had a professional mechanic look at the brake lines? Have they ever been replaced, or are you still running around on the original factory rubber brake lines, that you know have been subjected to 15 years of salt and corrosion?

If you drove it to the grocery store, and when you came out with a cart full of groceries, would you blame the cantaloupes if the pedal suddenly went to the floor? It could have let loose at your doctor's office, in your driveway, or at the bank parking lot.

Anonymous said...

Get a new car!

Anonymous said...

I was a professional mechanic for over twenty years and the owner of a successful shop for another eight. Brake lines or any other part on an older vehicle can fail at any time. This happened at my shop more than once. Just because it was in for service does not mean they were responsible for the failure in any way. Where they did fall short was in the notification to the owner. I always found that being brutally honest with the customer was the best policy. EXPLAIN the problem and SHOW the vehicle owner exactly what caused the failure. Offer your repair services or a reference to someone who can help. Most reasonable people understand and you just may gain a lifelong patron.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like to me you all are missing the point. She seems more upset that they were just trying to push her out the door, not that the issue occurred while her car was at Jiffy Lube. Regardless of how qualified they are to diagnose an issue, if they drove the car and the breaks were to the point you can push the pedal directly to the floor, then you obviously know there is an issue. The correct way to approach this is to tell the customer there seems to be a problem, not shove them in a vehicle without breaks functioning properly to get the problem off of your hands. Customer Service seems to go way over most of your heads.

Anonymous said...

I agree. 1:04 is a moron

Anonymous said...

Grants is the best in town. Not the cheapest but very honest and competent.

Anonymous said...

$100 says they didn't tell her because they figured she would blame them for it then they would be stuck covering the repair.