Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ex-cons get second chances at new auto shop

HALETHORPE, Md. —A new auto service center in Halethorpe is helping to give some men and women a second chance.

"It's like my sanctuary, peace of mind," said Perry Bailey, a mechanic intern.

Eight new mechanic interns at Full Circle Service Center, a subsidiary of Vehicles for Change, are former inmates in the Maryland prison system. Many said they've had trouble finding employment since being released.

"I filled out 47 applications since I've been home in auto mechanic field and all of them say the same thing, 'Oh, you got a felony on your record, we can't hire you,'" Bailey said.

More

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they work on school buses. I need a brake job and tune up?

Anonymous said...

You want convicts working on a school bus

Anonymous said...

I don't believe he filled out 47 applications an all 47 did criminal history checks. Cost money. 100 percent did back round checks lies. I do believe all will be late to work, piss dirty, fight and steal from employer.

Anonymous said...

He's a mechanic and a convict. No particular order. Damn right I'd give him a shot. I'd give anyone a chance.

Anonymous said...

Real nice there pal. Sure is funny how a LOT of these people say they are innocent, and then it turns out that they are when DNA comes into play. Likely mostly drug charges, and the Md Judiciary site does not charge a fee. Also brainiac, the applications likely ask the question about criminal history.
So you want more unemployed people we can pay for? Why would you have this attitude about somebody WANTING to work.
What a butt hole you must be.

Anonymous said...

Hug a thug I get you now. Inmate lover gotcha.. The site you speak covers Maryland only and is not accurate it's more of a snap shot of crimes... Btw he is Lying.

Anonymous said...

Hey. I am butthole. And I did not approve that message!
Butthole