Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, March 16, 2015

Why Do Robocalls Continue In An Age Of “Do Not Call” And Strict Telemarketing Rules?

Even though millions of Americans are on the federal Do Not Call list to limit unwanted telemarketing calls, and even though it’s illegal for anyone to make a commercial prerecorded robocall to a consumer who hasn’t given their express consent to receive such calls, the problem persists and is getting worse, with no cure-all solution in the offing.

During a panel discussion on robocalling this morning at the Consumer Federation of America’s Consumer Assembly in D.C., the Federal Trade Commission’s Lois Greisman explained that the number of telemarketing complaints has been “skyrocketing” in recent years, with the FTC receiving anywhere from 250,000 to 300,000 complaints per month, with robocalls responsible for around 60% of those complaints.

“If this were a disease, it would be an epidemic,” noted panel moderator Susan Grant, Director of Consumer Protection for the CFA.

Our Consumers Union colleague Delara Derakhshani pointed out that many robocalls go beyond mere annoyances, with the callers pitching questionable products and services.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had one of these calls last wee at my business. Told him we was not interested. Wanted to speak to the owner. As if the owner will drop everything and come to the phone. I told him NO. Since then I have two e-mails telling me how nasty a person I was. No customer service. He put messages on my facebook.. I guess he will go to google and post not true things also. Hell i can't win. Have tried to "block" him. Hope it helps.

Anonymous said...

If the FEDS would actually prosecute and do something about the people responsible for the calls, maybe the epidemic would slow down

Anonymous said...

You know, it amazes me that the Feds can tell you who I called, when, how long I talked, and probably even what I said, but they can't seem to find 'Rachael from Card Member Services'

Doesn't that just make you crazy?

Anonymous said...

As well as the Indian scammers who want you to believe that they're from Microsoft. One of these clowns actually called me at 10:30 on a Sunday night.

Anonymous said...

Those persons who call with accents (india) etc. I tell them when they can speak english please call back.
Right.

Anonymous said...

I got so disgusted with the number of these calls that I bought a new phone from Panasonic that will block 250 numbers. I did not need new phones but I did need this feature.

Steve said...

This is how efficient the government is in places like this, just like they will be able to make "Net neutrality" work! See how great they are? Gosh, I can't wait for the next government takeover of our next freedom!

Anonymous said...

First, I don't answer if a number is unfamiliar. I figure if it is important they can leave a message.
Then, if I get repeated calls with no message, I add the number to my contacts list, and set the phone not to ring. Then they can call all they want. Eventually they stop.