Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 20, 2014

A Letter To The Editor: Lost Dogs

Hi Joe,

I just wanted to share a quick story with you. I first learned of SBY News back in 2010. My dog had run away when a plumber left my back door open. I felt so sick to my stomach because I had no idea where my dog was. After a few days of searching a State Trooper who saw me walking along Rt. 50 looking for my dog suggested I go to your site and post about my lost dog. Shortly after you posted about my lost dog I got a call from someone who was able to conform that my dog was hit by a car and what animal hospital to find her. Sadly my dog had died but we were able to at least identify her and that gave us some closure.

Well today my Border Collie who is just over one year old got off her chain. This time I had a GPS pet tracker attached to her collar. I was able to go to the app and pull up the map and I was able to see exactly where she was. I live close to the 13 Bypass and she was very close to that highway. Luckily I was able to get to her in 10 minutes. She is now home safe and sound.

I wanted to share this story with you because I see so many people that have lost dogs and I can relate to the panic and anxiety you can feel not knowing where your dog is. Fact is a dog can move pretty fast and cover a lot of ground and they can be anywhere if they get away. I know that I couldn't sleep and I drove around for days when I lost my other dog in hopes that I could find her.

If people knew such a device as the GPS tracker existed then it may save a lot of people the grief of losing a pet. I am not trying to sell anything so I will leave the brand of the device I use out of this email. If you would like to know what tracker I use I will be happy to provide it. This tracker is small and waterproof and fits on the collar. It cost me about $100 for the tracker and $9 a month for the tracking service.

This device also keeps track of my pets activity so I can be sure she gets the proper exercise and in February there is an upgraded tracker that will also monitor the temperature and alert you if your dog is getting to hot or to cold to prevent weather related deaths.

Today I had a brief moment of that horror I felt in 2010 when I lost my beloved dog. Luckily that horror was short lived because I was able to use my smart phone and open the app and was able to see exactly where my dog was. I really hope other people can be spared the misery of not knowing where their pet is.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read my note. I know your a busy man with tons of email.

Thank you for all you do for us here on Delmarva. I hope to get the chance to shake your hand someday and thank you in person for your service to all of us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I use the Pettronix brand and it gives me peace of mind. Pettronix is about $175 and no monthly fee and is good for my situation where cell phone service is sporadic at best and no service in my house at all.
We are in the middle of over 400 wooded acres, nearly a mile off a rural road. You get a collar and a small monitor and rechargeable batteries and a charger. Monitor tells you how many feet away dog is and in what direction. You can also program a home location into it which is a big help since I've been lost in my woods before.

Anonymous said...

The tracker is a very good idea.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your lost but so happy that you have learned from it and thanks for sharing. Maybe it will open some ones eyes. map

Anonymous said...

I remember this person's story. I think it's great that they wrote this in. I also agree that you do a great service for folks here, Joe, and I thank you, too.

Anonymous said...

The tracker I use is called Tagg pet Tracker.

Pettronix is awesome because there isn't a monthly fee but what I like about Tagg is that I can get an alert on my Smart Phone and can track my pet right from that instead of a handheld device made just for that tracker.

If I am at work and get a notification that my dog has left her safe zone I can start tracking right away instead of having to go and get hand held tracker.

Also I have it set to notify 4 other people if my dog gets away and each of them can download the app for free and help me search for my pup. With one hand held device that limits how many can assist in finding your dog.

I also love that it gives me reports on my dogs activity. This is a good way to insure she gets her proper exercise and with the new tracker coming out in February it will be great to be able to monitor the temp to be sure my dog isn't over heating or getting to cold.

Another cool part is that this device is fairly small and clips on the collar. If it was to ever fall off I get an alert letting me know that it fell off and I can track to it to find it.

I only have to charge it about every 1.5 weeks. So for $9 bucks a month it is well worth the peace of mind it provides.

No matter what brand is chosen I hope that more people learn of these devices so their pets can make it home safely and quickly if they ever get lost.

Its such a horrible feeling to lose a beloved pet.