Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Food Stamp Fraud Rampant: GAO Report

Americans receiving food stamps were caught selling and bartering their benefits online for art, housing and cash, according to a new federal report that investigates fraud in the nation’s largest nutrition support program.

Complicating the situation is the fact states around the country are having trouble tracking and prosecuting the crimes because their enforcement budgets have been slashed despite the rapidly-rising number of food stamp recipients, according to the Government Accountability Office report.

Under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, 47 million people have been awarded $76 billion in benefits. State agencies are responsible for addressing SNAP recipient fraud under the guidance and monitoring of the Food and Nutrition Service.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lock 'em up....for at least 5 years for each offense....

Anonymous said...

Lost my job for a short time, MD started sending me vouchers, used a couple but didn't need them; felt guilty for even getting them. I got another better paying job, MD kept sending me the vouchers, I told them I didn't need them on several occasions. Four months later and making over 100k a year, MD is still sending me the vouchers. This state is completely screwed up, the ppl over at WIC could care less that I make money, they have told me every time we talk that I should just take the vouchers because I should take advantage while I still qualify and keep spending the vouchers..... Absolutely insane.