Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Creeping Theft of Freedom

We're quickly heading into the abyss. I'm serious. I offer the story you'll read below as a mere anecdote in a sea of troubles.

On return from a recent trip to Sri Lanka Mark and I traveled through Australia. Proceeding through the cattle stop that is “customs” we then met with the "security screeners". These are the folks allegedly protecting us from attackers armed with nail clippers and toothpaste.

The first thing we saw was a giant sign that said refusing to undergo a body scan would result in detention. Mark, seeing this and having never been "body scanned" was immediately taken aback. Sure enough, he was singled out to be the random subject.

Fortunately he was prepared... “I'm sorry. I have a medical condition that precludes me from the scanner.” To which the security woman said, "Sure, OK no problem, come through here (metal detector) instead."

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Introducing radical change often leads to violence reactions" That was the one statement that jumped out of the article. Maybe this is the answer to my questions about all the great cop shows are now showing rough and ready tactics that we are all becoming accustom to.