Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Don’t Thank Him For His “Service

I want to talk about something that’s been bothering me lately. The reader may think that I am trouncing on hallowed ground …. but first hear me out, and then beat me up.
I think the U.S. Government is behind a recent subterfuge that really irritates me. It has been eagerly picked up by an unthinking public and widely spread. It is the “Thank you for your service to our country” platitude. As a 25 year veteran, thrice combat tested, now retired, former USMC killing machine, I take exception to this patriotically veiled insincerity and urge thinking people not to use it. I shall try to explain why.

First, the statement implies ‘servitude’ and ‘sacrifice’ as does the name ‘service man’ itself. It reeks of self-abnegation, altruism, and renunciation of ones own interests in favor of those of society, nationalism and the greater good …. (mmmmmm, now it’s starting to make sense). It connotes selfLESS sacrifice of one’s own life and values for the sake of others. I have found none of this to be true in my case, or in any of my military accomplices. . I’ll try to illustrate.

To do so, let’s closely examine my own heroic military career <grin>. (but first a disclaimer: all opinions and conclusions presented here are strictly my own, and related only to Marine Corps Aviation of the ‘50s thru ‘70s. Some representations herein are intended to be humorous, some satirical and others outrageously caustic .. I must rely on you to figure our which is which. Other members of the US Marine Corps community are responsible for their own lies.)

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never have! Never will! They are paid a good salary which he agreed to from the beginning. Military Service is volunteered, Not Drafted.

Anonymous said...

I never have, knowing that we are probably causing more terrorism in the world than the Taliban. This all just sucks, and I wish we had a real Commander In Chief.

Anonymous said...

Military are paid a good salary? Since when? People join for a lot of reasons but pay is not an enticement. Unless one doesn't have two nickels to rub together.