Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, May 26, 2013

New Maryland Law Requires Smoke Alarms With Long-Life Batteries

A new law in Maryland aims to increase the likelihood that people's lives will be saved by smoke alarms during a fire, officials said.

Legislation approved by Gov. Martin O'Malley on Thursday requires that battery-operated smoke alarms in homes have sealed-in batteries designed to last 10 years. The alarms also need to have a "hush" button that allows people to silence the alarms without removing the batteries.

The law goes into effect July 1. Homes must have the alarms with long-life batteries by Jan. 1, 2018.

More 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely ridiculous. Stop with all of these stupid laws!

Anonymous said...

So, I guess O'Malley's cousin owns the only authorized wholesale distributorship in MD.?

Holy Cow Batman said...

Obama-Police to enforce this act.

Anonymous said...

I have had the same smoke detector for over 10 years, test it regularly and do not replace the batteries until they die, which the unit tells me by beeping, every 2 years. This is bull crap. What do I get fined if I dont own this useless piece of crap that if is wasnt working you would never know until its too late. At least I test mine yearly.

Anonymous said...

He wanted to mandate solar and wind powered alarms but the brother didn't get that job.

Anonymous said...

I dare you to come to my house to see what kind of battery I use in my smoke alarm.
The Stamp act comes to mind, and so does my 9mm.

Anonymous said...

more from big brother. when will it ever end?

Anonymous said...

not a bad idea for apartment bldgs. when do you suppose they'll legislate our heating/cooling systems?...lightbulbs, smoke alarms...& on & on...

Anonymous said...

Those batteries will come with a life long tax!

lmclain said...

5:35....right on , brother. Can't you see the day when the Gestapo will find it necessary to personally inspect each home (resist and die) to make sure we are in "compliance"? Don't laugh....