Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Stink Bug Population Expected To Rise In Maryland

Too much of a bad thing. That’s the forecast for Asian stink bugs for 2013.

As Alex DeMetrick explains, after a dieback last year, experts believe the pests will come roaring back in the months ahead.

It may have hitchhiked from Asia in shipping containers, but the brown marmorated stink bug feels right at home in Maryland.

“We’re going to have a boatload of stink bugs coming out of hibernation,” said Dr. Mike Raupp, a University of Maryland entomologist.

Raupp said field surveys are pointing to a population explosion after a sharp decline in 2011.

 More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH. MY. GAWD! What can I do???? Can't we sink the boats????? Hold our noses? How about realizing Global warming is to blame?

Wait a minute... Stinks bugs never have bothered me and don't eat up my garden or anything, So, I guess I should just kill myself or some stinkbugs or something....

Tell you what, I promise to capture every stinkbug I see this summer and mail them to the PRESIDENT! He will know what to do with them!

Anonymous said...

LOL...on a serious note...does anyone know of a more natural way besides pesticides to get these insects out of my garden?