Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, January 25, 2013

Miller Pitches Allowing Counties To Levy Gas Tax

County governments in Maryland could raise up to 5 cents per gallon on gas sales for local transportation projects, under the latest proposal made Thursday by the state Senate president on how to raise badly needed money for transportation.

Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller has been pitching various proposals this week on how to raise more revenue for roads, bridges and transit projects. He said the latest idea would enable counties to levy up to 5 cents per gallon on top of the state's 23.5-cents-per-gallon gas tax, which hasn't been increased since 1992.

Earlier this week, the Calvert County Democrat suggested lawmakers consider a separate 3 percent sales tax on gas statewide to raise roughly $300 million. The longtime Senate president also recommended the state consider selling or leasing the Intercounty Connector, part of which is now open. Another proposal would set up local transit authorities that could raise revenue for rail projects.

More 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make those goofballs driving around in those ridiculous looking death trap electric cars pay their "fair share." Charge them a "mileage tax" based on the number of miles they drive. This could be easily accomplished through GPS.

Anonymous said...

Delaware, here I come.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, but I thought the whole reason to raise bridge tolls was to cover road repairs, etc. for MD. Due to the lack of control this particular county demonstrates with regard to increasing our taxes, this just gives them a license to steal from the poor taxpayer.

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute! Why are they taxing our ga$!?
Isn't the Chesapeake Bay Bridge toll rate increasing from $4 to $6 in July? Won't the State of MD generating a boatload of extra $$$ from that!?
Higher ga$ price$ = higher food prices, clothes prices, retail goods prices and...EVERYTHING ELSE price$!

Anonymous said...

What does Miller care hes got plenty of money.

Anonymous said...

Don't complain. You democrats voted these morons into office. I'm lucky. I only live 1/2 mile from Delaware. If I wish to purchase a 30 pack of beer I will do it in Delaware and save $1.44 in taxes. My momma didn't raise me to be stupid.

Anonymous said...

A WIPE ,whats his office # this idiot needs to be bombarded with calls.

Anonymous said...

Sussex County, Delaware, will relish this dumb idea if it becomes law.

Anonymous said...

What a complete and total baffoon! Just proves what low-life "storytellers" our politicians are.

Anonymous said...

Tic tic tic goes the clock as soon as i can !!!!i will be the leaving Md!! i wrk in Va anyway.....i already buy my beer cigs n gas there on way to n from wrk !these dumb dems can have this mess i am otta here if i have 2 rent my house out

Anonymous said...

They raided $700 million from the transportation fund. They should have to pay it back from their legislative salary. If that happens then raise the tax. That ain't gonna happen and I hope neither is the gas tax.

lmclain said...

Baby, what I say.....More taxes. More Fees. More Surcharges. At every level for everything. just keep voting. But I suggest the next time we vote, it should be with AK-47's, AR-15's, and lots and lots of rope.

Scott said...

I live five miles from Delmar. I have no problem going there for my gas and everything else. I already go there for beer and alcohol. I guess the state has made my decision for me for the rest! People are already suffering right now with both unemployment and underemployment. When is enough, enough?