Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 26, 2012

8,803,335: Another New Record for Disability—Up 975 Per Day Under Obama

The number of American workers collecting federal disability insurance benefits hit yet another record high in October, according to the Social Security Administration.
This month 8,803,335 disabled workers are collecting benefits, up from the previous record of 8,786,049 set in September.
In February 2009, the first full month after President Barack Obama took office, there were 7,469,240 workers collecting federal disability insurance. Thus, so far in Obama’s term, the number of workers collecting disability has increased by 1,334,095. That works out to a net increase of about 29,646 per month (1,334,095 divided by 45 months), or an average increase of about 975 per day (1,334,095 divided by 1,369 days).
More 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disability claims and bankruptcies always increase in number during a Democratic presidency.

Anonymous said...

It's because they are shifting the unemployment benefits to disbility benefits. At the unemployment offices they are "coaching" people who may be unemployed and have a slight ailment to apply for disability instead. I believe it was USA Today who wrote about this practice.

Anonymous said...

I have had back surgeries and was denied disability.

Anonymous said...

I'm signing up! I need a knee replacement. No income, I'm on Maryland "insurance" . I'm told I will be denied first thing, then fight for it! Okay... Unemployed for 4 years, and now unemployable in construction, and I'll spend a year or two doing this... I wish i were 20 again...

Anonymous said...

. I wish i were 20 again...

October 26, 2012 7:56 PM

don't we all lol

Anonymous said...

Good luck, 7:56. I'm aware of a number of individuals/families who receive govt 'assistance'. My conclusion is that those who truly need & deserve the help can't get it, but the professional entitlement freeloaders are doing just fine.