Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Salisbury News Gives Huge Props To Mr. Doug Marshall


I have known Doug for a good 12 years now. When I first met this young man I thought to myself, this guy is going places. I met Doug at an auction he held in Ocean City and ultimately bought our Delmar home from Doug years later.

I have watched Doug grow his business, sell one off and start another. He has always kept a level head and tonight's decision to call off the Kellie Pickler Concert had to be one of the toughest decisions he's probably made in his entire career.

Knowing Doug, he thought of the safety of those in the concert as well as those wanting to see the show. Some might have pushed to move ahead but as I said, he's level headed, mature beyond his years.

The new development in Delmar was yet another HUGE stepping stone for Doug. Think about it. When every one else is filing bankruptcy, Doug had a vision for an outdoor arena for entertainment. He's building homes in that development to fulfill his commitment to the Town of Delmar and ultimately he and his investors will deliver a destination location smaller but similar to others seen on the East Coast.

I can see Bike Week coming there and all kinds of incredible activities for kids. There's talk of soccer fields and even an indoor center similar to the Crown in Fruitland.

While some may find it easy to give Doug a hard time because of their disappointment in tonight's end result, I personally think Doug is one of the biggest up and coming businessmen the Eastern Shore has ever seen.

Doug, thank you for sticking your neck out. Thank you for investing and keeping it local when others wouldn't or couldn't. The man deserves props, I hope you agree.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting since April for this concert, so I am seriously disappointed. But I'm looking forward to the next event. I think it's going to be an awesome venue.

Anonymous said...

I was there last nite and for a first event he went first class. I will support future events and respect his decision today. I hope he keeps moving forward. He has a wonderful vision!

Anonymous said...

The right choice Doug!

Anonymous said...

The advance promo was great!! Doug, So sorry the weather spoiled this one, but Joe is right! You deserve kudos, congrats, props & a cold one! Great job and sorry for the lousy weather!

Anonymous said...

There last night awesome show.

Anonymous said...

All it would have taken was one strike of lightening to kill a spectator and everyone would have hated him for not calling it off. Good call.

Anonymous said...

Great Job Doug and I wish you the best in your future endeavors! Thank you from my family and I for bringing some culture to our part of the Eastern Shore!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting the word out Joe.

Anonymous said...

I will be waiting for next show! You have my support Joe and Doug!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a bike but I like to ride.

Anonymous said...

Props Doug Dude!

Thanks for trying!

Anonymous said...

Had a blast last night. We danced our butts off. Well tried anyway.

Anonymous said...

Wish he would have called off the event earlier, the whole area was flooded.

Anonymous said...

The rain sucked! Bummer

Anonymous said...

What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger.

Anonymous said...

Joe thank you for supporting this great event. You do give back to this community 10 fold.

Robert Short said...

HUGE props to Doug for his decision. Many people dont realize that he lost tens of thousands of dollars by his decision to put the safety of the people there first. That alone shows the type of businessman he is!

Anonymous said...

This is the down side of trying to hold outside events.

Anonymous said...

Doug and his crew put on an amazing show Friday night. He and the officials from the town and Kellie's management team made the correct decision. A local boy taking care of the locals always. This venue will take off, Doug does not no fail. I can't wait for the next anouncement to by my tickets. I love being 5 minutes from my house and not having to drive 2+ hours to enjoy a show.

Anonymous said...

Is there any possibility it can be rescheduled?