Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Everyone Should Stop And Think About The NY Times Roster Of The Dead

Walter Reed was where soldiers got sent to die or go home, and for someone like me, with a trivial but serious injury, it was a spectacular glimpse into what The New York Times missed with their Roster.

I'd written the Post in 2005 — along with several other media outlets. It was hard not to with what I saw every day, and how we were treated. Priest's piece was great, but it only scratched the surface and came too late to stop the commanding general from deleting my medical records for trying to get the word out.

The Times Roster too just touches the surface: The thing is, not everyone dies.

The Walter Reed 'ortho' ward was worse than dying. It's where everyone got sent when their bones need attention. When they got blown up.

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think about them every day. My wounds are hidden, but the pain and loss of function are there, and will be for the next 50 years, should I live that long.
Walter Reed was a hellhole, a clearinghouse for the unlucky.