Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Obama Puts Democrats Back In Welfare Reform Trap

Political controversy over welfare is back after a 16-year hiatus.

As with the fight that started earlier this year over whether Catholic organizations should be forced to provide contraceptive coverage to their employees, a rule change from the Department of Health and Human Services started the dispute.

And once again, the Obama administration is on shaky ground as a matter of both law and politics.

In 1996, a Republican Congress enacted, and President Bill Clinton signed, a welfare-reform law that imposed a “work requirement” on all states. Every state must make 40 percent of welfare recipients either work, look for work, get on-the-job training, go to high school, get vocational education or participate in job-readiness training. These activities must take up at least 30 hours a week.

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have my own business and recently some guy called my office to "see if I was hiring". I could tell he was the least bit interested in even working, let alone the type of business that I have, he was I am sure "hoping that I am not hiring". I guess they have to call around to businesses to see about job openings, but the way this guy came through on the phone, I would not even consider hiring him even if I was. Sounded like he was spaced out - just the kind of guy I want working for me....NOT! It's easier for them to let Obama take care of them rather than be out there working for a living!