Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, June 01, 2012

Hundreds Gone, Very Few Left


First of all I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to stop by the Office, call and e-mail me your kind wishes. Between bumper stickers and tee shirts, literally hundreds of them are gone and people are seeing them all over Town.

It truly is humbling to see all of this support and it makes it exciting to know people want to see the right kind of change and leadership Salisbury hasn't seen in more than a century.

Looking back at the last two Mayors, it's easy to go after government grants and what I call easy money for affordable housing, fire boats and so forth. However, while that may be easy money, eventually Salisbury will look and live like Detroit and I truly do not believe that is where you want to be.

What my goals are is by far a more difficult way to go but I firmly believe past leaders are simply too afraid of failing, I am not. I simply do not fail.

Now just think for a minute. How many section 8 housing projects have been built. How many affordable housing projects. How many student housing projects. How many TIF's and developer reimbursements. OK, you get the idea, right? Now tell me just how many NEW HOMES have been built. You see, that's the key here Folks. New homes go ON the tax roll and the other projects do not.

There's no need to lower impact fees in Salisbury. The only reason that's being proposed is to, (once again) help those good ol' boy developers building projects with government funds. It may LOOK like things are getting done but in reality its not worth it.

So how do we fix it. How do we get developers excited about Salisbury again. Well, I'd like to say that's simple but in reality its not. HOWEVER, I can and I will get them excited again and if they won't, well, we'll just reach out to other developers because I'm not going to see Salisbury turn into Detroit.

If you're wondering HOW I plan on getting people excited again about Salisbury, (and let me assure you I do have a plan) stop by my Office at 300 W. Main Street and let me tell you face to face what I plan on doing. Let me also add this message. I have spoken to the key people that can help make my visions come to a reality. The people I have spoken to are very EXCITED and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Come on down and visit and lets talk about it. Come get a tee shirt and a bumper sticker if you believe in that vision. When you walk away you'll have a smile on your face and a new breath of fresh air knowing Salisbury can and will be the best City on the entire Eastern Shore.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe We were going around Salisbury this weekend and viewed many "projects", low income housing, etc and noticed how many are boarded up or left vacant. Why not repair these or tear them down and sell the property so a home can be built. We dont need more low income housing. If we cant take care of what we have we dont need more.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the changes. I would really love Downtown to be a place I feel comfortable walking thru with my family. Someday I hope to see Sby downtown flourishing like in Berlin. Hopefully we can also have the surrounding neighborhoods become friendly and safe, too.

Anonymous said...

The solution to bringing jobs, new businesses, and new construction is extremely simple. All you have to do is make Salisbury a place where people want to live and work. The rest will take care of itself.

Tina said...

I don't live in Salisbury, but in Fruitland. Regardless I would love to see Salisbury flourish under your leadership. Go get 'em Joe!

Anonymous said...

The problem is an area can not reinvent itself with specialty shops, boutiques, bars and restaurants if the jobs aren't around to support it.
Salisbury would be an excellent area for those in the information technology sector (Lancaster county PA has Mapquest as an example) to set up shop. Besides the college which offers the employees, the ocean is 1/2 away, DC 2 hours, and homes are affordable.

Anonymous said...

JOE ALBERO FOT MAYOR! I can cannot think of what is going on in peoples minds in the GOB downtown especially when they see the JOE ALBERO for MAYOR tshirts and bumber stickers on people and vehicles on Salisbury streets.

Anonymous said...

Joe-half or more of the properties owned by Wicomico Housing Authority are boarded up because developers are building nice new expensive condo-style housing for these programs.All those units on Dykes Rd,painfully obvious its subsidized.This brings no money into the city and in fact contributes to the crime.

Anonymous said...

I thought Dykes Road was townhouses for students at the college...The Orchard..?

Anonymous said...

The Dykes Road place referenced is the "Salisbury Commons," Section 8 housing. I live not far from there.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I hope you get in and wish I could vote for you. Ireton has brought back the same-old-same-old plus worse, temper tantrums, extra smear, just ridiculous. If this is the help he said was on the way, no thanks! I live with a Salisbury address, but not in it where I can vote. My long distance relatives always say, what the heck is wrong with you people. Ireton's an embarrassment! I've asked people I know live in Salisbury to vote for you.

Anonymous said...

When a company decides to locate in a new area, one of the major considerations is an excellent educational system. Is this area going in that direction or are we content with seeing our system fail?

Anonymous said...

Your comment is very accurate.