Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, May 21, 2011

One Family’s COMCASTIC Nightmare

David has finally reached the end of his cable when it comes to Comcast reception at his house. He has had multiple technicians out to help. He has contacted the executive customer service SWAT team. He has Twittered. His connection is still crappy, and he's locked in a contract. He finally fired off this letter to company executives, hoping that people at or above the Jack Donaghy level can help him receive the service he's actually paying for.

We have no idea where to turn at this point. Let me just get started with what's been going on for the past 6+ months with our phone/internet/TV bundle.

A few weeks into us bundling phone, TV and internet we started having pretty bad connectivity issues - the internet would drop out, phone calls would drop and we wouldn't be able to hear the other person on the line and TVs would be snowy/drop signal as well.

We called Comcast to create a ticket and get a service rep out to fix it. *Cue Yakety Sax * [Okay.-Ed.]

The first one says we're not getting enough power to power the line. He installs a booster. Everything works for a few days. A few days later the issues return, so we call and get another tech out (two weeks later was the earliest we could get someone out). This tech says we have too much power going to everything. He removes the booster and says that too much power is coming from the outside lines. Things work again for next few days. The issues still return and we call for another tech to come out. When he finally comes he says we need the booster but not set to such a high power level. At this point, we've given up on getting everything working and just focus on internet.

READ MORE …

This was a story that wanted to be told.  However, I can’t help but think that I am not the only person in the world who has had GREAT experiences as a Comcast and Delmarva Power customer.  Is Comcast perfect?  Of course not!  No utility is.  Yet, my experience with them at home and work has been overwhelmingly positive. - GAH

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had prblems for 20 years
yesterday a mantainence crew disconected my house without telling anyone .I think the problem with cable is the some of the exects that work there.When will we ever get a choice .

Daddio said...

It was because of such indifference towards customer service that I fired ComCrap 3 years ago. They have been sending me mailings at least once a week since then, begging me to come back.

IF they had put as much effort into proper customer service as they do with advertising, they would not have needed the advertising!

From what I have been hearing, things have not changed over there, unless it's for the worse ...

Beezer said...

The scenario described in the article above is the exact same scenario that played out at my home.

They blamed it on the to much amplification and then to little amplification. I have never really been satisfied with Comcast track record.

Anonymous said...

dittos to all. we have comcast and have had issues since day one. no competition = poor service.

Anonymous said...

similar experience here, also. "fixed" one day, 2 days later either same or different problem. I think they are just trying to boost thier customer service response numbers, (by intentionally creating glitches).
I want a choice!
Phil W.

Anonymous said...

I have a fix. Cancel it. I refuse to get cable. Watching television is a waste of time.

Anonymous said...

Comcast has a monopoly in this area and they take complete advantage of it! Now, you have to have a box on every tv, to the tune of $1.99 per outlet in order to get the usual channels! Guaranteed things would change if they had any competition from other cable companies coming to this area.

Anonymous said...

I've had a few problems in 12 yrs with Comcast but they were corrected with a phone call. As for DP&L I haven't had a problem so far.

Anonymous said...

My Comcast bill is higher than my electric bill and heat bill......something wrong with this picture. If I did not need their high speed internet I would cancel tomorrow as I never turn TV on from one month to the next. Next is my land line - that needs to go also as I am being charged $45.00 a month for a phone that I rarely use. I could save over $150.00 a month without either one and Comcast knows they have you locked in.
Does anyone know how I can keep my comcast email account without keeping the TV portion other than paying them 79.00 a month just for internet?

Steve O said...

I had the same problem with Comcast.. I ended going to Direct TV, best move i've ever made

Anonymous said...

We've also had nothing but problems with our tv and internet service over the last 2 years.
The latest, their new digital adapters they now require. We hooked it up to the tv in the bedroom (which had been working just fine) and after the tech tried sending the signal, the tv would no longer work. If you turned it on, it clicked right back off!
So, we took a tv out of our guestroom and put in our bedroom.
Guess what? They sent the signal and boom! That tv went up too, just a different problem.
We had to go buy a new tv for the bedroom but Comcast says "there's no way our signal caused the outage of your televisions".
BS! Both of those televisions were just fine! They were not the "newer" tvs, but there was nothing wrong with either of them immediately before this change in service!
If we had a choice to go somewhere else, we would! Dish is even more expensive for us though because of the # of tvs.
We're working on making every attempt to lessen our tv watching so that when this current pricing plan ends, we may just get rid of cable tv all together and just get the over the air stations for free.