Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving Thanks On Thanksgiving Day





What you see above are just a few of the many charts hanging in the Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign Headquarters.

For those of you who are not aware of just how I personally got involved with the Salvation Army, allow me to explain. Three years ago I received word that Kenny Townsend was ringing the bell and I thought, there's no way. Kenny Townsend was in jail serving time for the Landfill fiasco. It turns out, (so I learned) the Salvation Army was not only paying Bell Ringers, they were allowing work release inmates to ring the bell.

When I exposed this story, I knew there was a possibility the Warden would stop allowing inmates to participate and I vowed to replace them should he choose to do so. Well,  he did and my relationship with the Salvation Army began. My quest was to help create a ALL VOLUNTEER Campaign and for the past two years we have achieved exactly that, thanks to all of YOU.

We started publishing charts and amazingly they sarted filling up with Volunteers. We have yet to even put up a chart so far this year and just look at ALL of the Volunteers already.

While there are so many things for me to personally give thanks for this year, I can't help but express my sincere gratitude to ALL of you for taking the time out of your busy schedules and Paying It Forward" to so  many needy Families here on the Eastern Shore.

The Giant Grocery Store decision not to allow full time Bell Ringers was very unfortunate but we're extremely grateful for the many years they did allow us to do so. That being said, we need your help. There are so many locations in desperate need of Bell Ringers this season.

More importantly, we all know how so many are falling upon hard times locally. By manning these locations it allows the Salvation Army the opportunity to gain back what they will definitely lose from the Giant location.

Please consider volunteering a couple hours of your time, that's all we ask. One thing I can assure you of, you will walk away wanting to do more. Seeing the thousands of people reaching into their pocket to give back is truly overwhelming. Your friends and neighbors will see YOU volunteering and they too will want to get involved.

While there have been MANY things that have been extremely rewarding ever since I started Salisbury News, this is by far the most rewarding. So for that I say, THANK YOU and Happy Thanksgiving!

If you would like to Volunteer please call starting tomorrow:

 410-749-RING (7464)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Joe. We all have a lot to be Thankful for for living in this area. Thanks for all you do to promote so many good causes and good things in our community.

The Salvation Army is something all of us should get behind. They do wonderful work for all humankind in need. We never know when it could be us that needs them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all your support over the years. Those who have tried to torpedo you efforts over personal vendetta should be ashamed of themselves.

Anonymous said...

Its my second year! Glad to do it again!