Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mayor Ireton Doesn't Care About The Environment


If he did, he wouldn't be spending money in magazines that waste a valuable resource.

Oh, I know not everyone has Internet Access but let me assure you, the Metropolitan claims they PRINT 36,000 magazines each month with a verified circulation, PLLLLLEEEEASE! Yeah, 200 to the GOB, 1,000 to Giant, you know where I'm going. Mind you, it's a very well done magazine and it has its place marketing wise. However, what the heck does "verified circulation" mean anyway.

Then there's the 36,000 PRINTED each month. OK, I can believe that. I can also believe that thousands upon thousands go to specific locations. However, reaching 36,000 people each month is a joke.

Back when I was in the manufacturing business we used to advertise in Trade Magazines for our product. They offered what they called Post Card Ads where you'd get 50 or so companies that would have a bundle of post cards sent out to their subscribers. These companies would then go through the cards and mail them back to you asking for more information/brochures. The majority of the companies were foolish enough to pre pay the postage for these cards, not me. The way I saw it, (and it worked) was, IF someone was truly interested in your product, they'd pay, (back then) the 12 cents to put a stamp on it and mail it back to you. When I sent a lead to one of my Distributors or Dealers, they were GOOD LEADS.

The Metropolitan is nothing but a Feel Good Magazine for local businesses to see their business in print. Nice articles about nice stuff, a kind of "click" so to speak. However, no one is paying, (or putting their own postage on it) to BUY the magazine, yet so many people fall for the expensive advertising. Again, it's a nice magazine but it packs no real punch. Unless you like seeing yourself in print with all great things about your company and how great these people are at Fundraisers and so forth. Like I said though, they have proven there's a place for this kind of thing and they do it better than anyone else I've ever seen.

However, on line marketing is the future and in January you'll see the first of its kind locally, (and successfully) right here on Salisbury News. Heck, our circulation blows theirs away anyway. Again, to the nay sayers, go to Alexa and see what I'm talking about. Those are REAL numbers that are verified. The competition will be stepping it up a notch in January and going up against TV, Radio, Newspaper and Magazines.

If Ireton claims he wants to GO GREEN, well, we'll be happy to serve the City of Salisbury by offering a 100% GREEN marketing environment. Remember, people come to Salisbury News because they WANT TO. There is none, nor will there be a charge for a subscription. This should get interesting.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is an expensive rag that you have to pay to get into it. So I do not take it serious anymore. As long as you are paying they will let you say whatever.

Anonymous said...

Well I guess its time to face reality about Ireton, I gave money and voted for him, and it seems he is just a two bit Democrat egotist that wants to pretend he is some sort of celebrity now. All he was interested in was a stage to preen on and be seen on. Wow never thought this would happen.

Anonymous said...

It's the same crap every month advertising the rich businesses
in the area , mostly medical.
Don't even read it anymore.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone else hear the mayor screaming at Mrs. Campbell out in the hall last night? I was mortified. I still cannot believe he had the audacity to pull such a stunt in public.

The mayor has forgotten it was people like Mrs. Campbell that put him in office. Those same people will remove him.

Anonymous said...

Well we need to get removing then. I'm totally unsatisfied with his performance so far - if it's a Friday event downtown, he's there; if it's a photo op, he's there. But...when it comes to Chiefy and Barrie and Lynn and etc., etc., etc., he backs down. Some Mayor he is.

Tee said...

Joe, I wish you all the best on your new adventure into the business of cyberworld advertising.

I have no doubt you will do well.

I really don't know how you have done it this long without some kind of sponsors so with that you pretty much are guaranteed to make it.

I personally don't mind seeing adds on a website, but please, PLEASE... do not allow those stupid pop-ups like some websites.

They are the most annoying thing to me on the internet and if you have a dial-up system it takes forever for it load and then close.

Just my 2 cents, respectfully

good luck.

T

PS word verification "aderly" lol

joealbero said...

I would not subject YOU to anything I wouldn't like. I run a business the way I want to be treated and that's why I have been successful at everything I've been involved in.

Mr. Charlie said...

Then don't read it.

Anonymous said...

Although, my business is no longer in the Metropolitan because it's so darn expensive to advertise, I was not one that just wanted to see my business in print. I was hoping that it would bring me business. However, since they have gone mostly medical, it doesn't do us much good to advertise even if we had the funds. It is not fair to say that those of us who advertise in magazines just want to see our pretty picture in print. Some are trying to stay alive in these economic times.

Anonymous said...

You idiots !!!!!!!

If you can not tell a professional advertisement. They kick all the local rags butts. You hit the nail on the head people pay to be in it. It is a form of marketing their business. Nothing more.

The Shores best this and that. Who in the freak voted some of the winners truly suck. They just paid top dollar and got the Blue Ribbon lol.

Come on who voted for the best septic service in wicomico. I never saw a ballot. I would have voted for W.C.D.C.


Maybe this year they will have best inmate or county council person awards. Notice i said person I am trying to be politically correct.

Maybe a blue ribbon for local business owners that picked up the most street walkers.

A blue ribbon for the best county land fill. Hell we all know they have the money to buy the votes.

Maybe a blue ribbon for the county council that sat prior to this one that totally missed the abuse of funds. One to this one for screwing the deputies.

Yea they can all sit at one table at the Best of the Best Ball.

Excuse me I have to go puke now.

Have a Delmarvalous Day.

Oh sorry forgot to mention V.O.I.C.E. I know we all remember VOICE. In times of economic hardship the county purchases land from Donald Coffin the long legged Mac Daddy of VOICE. Donny you get to sit at the same table with the Bozos that purchased the land with my tax dollars. You get a blue ribbon for the best chamilion.


If you can not laugh at this county and the state it is in, you are not breathing.

Tee said...

on advertising.

what is considered the very best advertising publication?

Out side of the yellow pages of course.

I guess it would be better to ask, if you advertised a business where would you get the best response? Why?

There's nothing behind this question, I'm just curious.

Anonymous said...

I used to advertise my business in the Metropolitan Magazine years ago but it just got too expensive for a small business to afford. Guess that is why I am no longer on the Best of the Eastern Shore winners list anymore. If you advertise with them, chances are certainly better to come out "Best Of",,,,,,,,
I mean, seriously...

Anonymous said...

Its 4 people who want 2 be seen!!! I know im good 4 grabin 4 or 5 a month and throw them in trash! U only win best of if u advertise in it!

Anonymous said...

I question whether Mayor Ireton cares about anything any more. Did he give up after getting in? Is he waiting for the next election? At least Mrs. Campbell stays in there fighting for what's right. Mrs. Cohen too. Why can't he at least fight for what is right?

I don't think I can wait for yet another election when things are supposed to change. Why can't he make some changes now? Something, anything for the better.